Student Assembly reaches crossroads

The election of John Honovich '97 as Student Assembly vice president leaves the organization at a crossroads, and its future now depends on whether the two top Assembly leaders can forge an uneasy alliance that will allow them to work together to serve students.

After winning an internal run-off election Tuesday night over Jesse Russell '96, Honovich pledged his commitment to cooperate with Assembly President Rukmini Sichitiu '95.

But just two months ago, Sichitiu signed a letter demanding Honovich's resignation, and said "He has lost my ... confidence," and "It doesn't matter what position that we hold, he disagrees with it."

Members now say the Assembly faces a choice. It will either begin to tend to students' concerns or it will again lapse into a pandemonium of political bickering, depending on whether Honovich and Sichitiu have buried the proverbial hatchet.

Sichitiu was elected last spring on a platform embracing liberal and minority issues. After Honovich's election, she told The Dartmouth that she was "elected by a student mandate" and will use that mandate to press forward her agenda.

"[My] vision will not be obstructed and will not be hindered," she said. She also said she is worried that some of last term's problems will be repeated.

Some Assembly members say Honovich has no choice but to work with Sichitiu on advancing her agenda.

"Rukmini is set in her agenda. The SA is still going to get things done. The only thing [Honovich] can do is contribute to it," said Grace Chionuma '96, last year's Summer Assembly president and an ally of Sichitiu.

Chionuma said Honovich's elevation to the vice presidency "doesn't mean a great deal."

Assembly spokesman Brandon del Pozo '96 said this year's Assembly will be successful if Honovich "curbs his bellicose ways," and follows though on the promises he made to the Assembly in a speech Tuesday night.

But del Pozo still warned, "I don't know if he and Rukmini will be able to get along by their politics."

Assembly member Jim Brennan said things will "go smoothly for a while" until Sichitiu introduces "controversial issues" before the Assembly. Brennan said there is sure to be friction at that time.

If past behavior is any indication of future action, Honovich's election as Assembly parliamentarian may have secured his position as a political force with which to be reckoned.

Honovich -- known for challenging authority and his confrontational style -- has been a thorn in the side of the last two Assembly administrations.

Last year, he charged Assembly President Nicole Artzer '94 with incompetence and called for her impeachment, and this year he precipitated the resignation of Danielle Moore '95 as president.

But according to Honovich, it's nothing personal.

He says all his actions stem from a concern for students and have nothing to do against particular individuals.

"In student government, everything we do is about political issues. I treat the issues, not the person," Honovich said. "I never try to make it personal, it was never me against Danielle or Rukmini."

"I don't want any gridlock," he added. "I'm going to tone down my behavior and I want to compromise more and be more cooperative. If Rukmini really wants to work with me, I don't anticipate any problems."

Not everyone on the Assembly is so sure that is going to happen.

"I can't imagine that [John and Rukmini] can work together well enough after what's happened between them last term," Class of 1998 Vice President Tom Franks said.