Hop displays Sidney Dodge's abstracts

Next time you go to the Hop and check your Hinman Box, make sure to look at Sidney Dodge's drawings on the walls of the Upper Jewett Exhibition Corridor. This collection is a series of abstract drawings done in oil pastel, colored pencil, and pencil. It includes an array of colorful works that portray human and animal figures, household objects, and landscapes.

Despite their small size, the works are detailed, incorporating complex and simple interactions between the subjects involved.

These pieces hint at sensual images that link the physical and metaphysical objects from our daily surroundings. The artist achieves a high degree of abstractness through the use of line, color and shape, focusing primarily on a balanced spatial interaction between geometric forms.

Curved lines are strategically utilized in some of Dodge's drawings. Along with shading, the lines produce an illusory three dimensional effect. The lines also provide a sense of fluidity, and thus giving her works an element of sensuality.

Dodge's use of color is an important factor in enhancing such characteristics, which can make the piece rather amusing. Ben Coonley '98 commented, "Some pieces are humorously subtle and comical but there still exists personality in even the most innate objects."

Dodge also uses bright colors, primarily red, green, orange, blue and yellow. In one drawing, Dodge interpreted the image of a bird. The curved lines, bright colors, and the rather mystical landscape suggested a subtle manipulation of these factors.

In another drawing, there are many household objects that can be discerned once you follow the movement of line and shape that ultimately combine for a live and energetic piece.

The overall feeling of this exhibit is a sense of awe and puzzlement. Complex and simple representations were flung together in one piece so that it was possible sometimes to take sections of certain drawings and view them as separate pieces. There appears to be constant motion and activity in some drawings, even in the smallest pieces.

"There were, however, some confusing aspects of these drawing," Anastasia Gentilcore '97 said. "There is no balance to the composition or real order of space. The colors are frivolous and do not contribute well to the design of the drawing."

Sidney Dodge presently lives in Bellingham , Wa. She received her BFA from Stephens College, Mo. and her MFA from the University of Iowa. Her exhibit will continue through Feb. 26, 1995.