Flag at half-staff for Brown of classics dept

The College flag flew at half-staff yesterday in memory of Cheryl Brown, an administrative assistant in the classics department who died Friday after a long illness. She was 50 years old.

Brown began working for the College in 1973 and has held positions with the mathematics department and the Tucker Foundation in addition to her most recent post.

"She was a woman who was of indomitable faith and she carried that through with her to the end," said Classics Professor Edward Bradley, who worked with Brown for about seven years and is currently the department's chair.

A service for Brown was held yesterday afternoon at Rollins Chapel, followed by her burial.

"She was a person who had a very deep and abiding faith and so her personality was one that tended to fill her environment with her sense of love," Bradley said.

Brown was born on Sept. 26, 1944 to Philip and Naomi (Trottier) Barrows in Hanover. She lived in West Lebanon at the time of her death.

She is survived by Ernest Brown, her husband; her children Robert Hebert and Jodi Lynn Perry, and her stepchildren, Mathew Smith, Randall Scott Smith and Katrina Brown.

She is also survived by her sisters Sonja Guarino and Loriann Hellmann, five grandchildren and a large extended family.

Brown's involvement in community programs included being a big sister for the Big Brother and Big Sister program, a member of the Concerned Women of America and a member of National Right to Life.

Brown was also active in a local breast cancer support group.