Students lend a hand

Approximately 300 people will build, clean, cook and paint as part of eight community service projects tomorrow during Make a Difference Day.

Angela Lee '95, one of the organizers, said a few changes have been made to the program in the past week and that it is not too late for students to become involved.

The Youth-in-Action Community Supper Saturday night will be chaired by Audra Rudys '95 and Brian Wall '95. Lee was originally scheduled to chair this event. Other changes include the cancellation of the Garden Club Cleanup.

"The main point of Make a Difference Day is to show that community service is fun and to encourage people to reach out to others," Lee said.

Daphne Monie '96 will be chairing an event at the Delta Gamma sorority house where volunteers will be baking healthy snacks for children at Hannah House, a home for teenage mothers in Lebanon.

Lee said members of Beta Theta Pi fraternity are planning to get together with the Hanover High School football team to do a musical presentation.

Make a Difference Day will be made possible by student volunteers from all the Greek Houses, Lee said.

In addition, the Lodge, Richardson Hall and the Choates, River and Ripley-Woodward-Smith clusters will participate.

The event is a nationwide effort sponsored by USA Today and the Points of Life Foundation.

Lee estimated that 200 Dartmouth students will contribute their time and almost 100 other participants will come from Lebanon and Hanover High Schools.

Lee encouraged additional Dartmouth students to volunteer, Lee said. "The average time commitment for a volunteer is two hours on Saturday," she said.

The events will be judged by Henry Cisneros, U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development; Charlayne Hunter-Gault, a correspondent for the Macneil-Lehrer NewsHour; Paul Newman, an actor and president of Newman's Own, Inc.; and Richard Schubert, president and CEO of the Points of Light Foundation.

Andrew Shue '89 of FOX television's "Melrose Place," who was supposed to be one of the judges, cancelled because he is working on a television show.

Events will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with the Community Supper from noon until 7 p.m. at the Lebanon High School.