Finn misses mark

While correct in stating that every student should know their rights regarding alcohol and the police, John Finn misses the mark in "Students Unaware of Alcohol Laws (17 August)" when he said that students submit to alcohol consumption tests because they are intimidated by the Hanover Police, who "are wearing guns."

Finn, who seems to advocate noncooperation with law-enforcement, does not realize that most students are fully aware of their guilt, realize they are both rather drunk and caught in the act, and they submit to the police to make things easier. Guns and harassment, in most cases, have little to do with it.

The truth is that the police are protecting these people from themselves and others. While Dan Palumbo '96 may feel he got an unfair break, his drunkenness caused him to be unable to take care of his dog, who was menacing another student.

The timeless wisdom behind drinking is of course to know your limits and stay within them. This way, because you are not rolling around in a stupor on the floor, the police will have nothing to go on based on your conduct. The police do not pull aside people who are alert and walking in a straight line.