Foreign profs visit College

Once again this summer, professors and students from across the globe are coming to Hanover to mingle with the sophomore class.

For many years now, some College departments have sponsored a summer exchange program with universities that house College professors when they are participating in a Language Study Abroad and Foreign Study Programs.

The exchange, which enables foreign students to study and take classes during the Summer term at Dartmouth, has been active in departments for close to 20 years, according to Religion Chair Robert Henricks.

Organized by the individual departments -- independent of the Off-Campus Programs Office -- the foreign students and professors never formally meet the other exchange students.

The foreign students are here to experience studying in America and at Dartmouth, said Richard Fitch, a student at the Divinity School in Edinburgh.

He added that they do not get credit for their studies.

The exchange enables the foreign students to meet more Americans, said Henry Woudhuysen, an English professor from the University College London.

In his three weeks here, James Hall, an English student at the University College London said he observed that "Dartmouth has much better facilities than many of the universities in England." This results in "a real can-do, will-do atmosphere," he said.

The combination of computers, the theaters, the library and the Hood Museum make Dartmouth's resources outstanding, said Matthew Tempest, also studying English at the University College London.

Carole Hillenbrand, a professor of Arabic and Islamic studies in Edinburgh, is teaching about Islam in the College's philosophy department.

She said Dartmouth students "talk more. They're more willing to ask questions."

"Dartmouth students have higher expectations," she said, "They're not interested in wasting time."

Tempest said he finds that "sciving" -- the England slang equivalent of "slacking" -- is not as rampant among Dartmouth students as it is among English students.

This may result in part from "the money thing," one of the major differences between the American and European education system, he said.

While the government pays for the students' tuitions in most European countries, Americans pay for their own education.

Another major difference with Dartmouth is "the American smorgasbord approach," Woudhuysen said.

While students at Dartmouth take courses both in and out of their major, European students take courses only in their specified field.

The American education system, he said, is both appealing and dangerous.

He added that although the mixed degree helps to give Dartmouth students "the-world-is-your-oyster feeling," the American educational system is much more geared for it.

American professors, for example, have gotten their undergraduate degree in the same way and are accustomed to it, he said.

As for Dartmouth's notorious Greek houses, Tempest admits he has had a great time at the fraternities.

But he did note that "it might become a grievance" if he was here for four years.

"The frats are interesting, but I think I will get bored of them quickly," agreed Hall.

In general, Tempest said, "We're very keen on the exchange."