Women's soccer dominates UVM

The women's soccer team defeated the University of Vermont in a 2-1 thriller Wednesday afternoon at Chase Field.

Melissa McBean '97 scored with less than four minutes remaining in the game to unlock a 1-1 tie. Her third goal of the year gave Dartmouth its sixth victory and helped solidify the Big Green's ranking at 20th in the nation.

Dartmouth controlled the game from the opening kickoff, peppering Vermont goalkeeper K.J. Huyffer with shot after shot. Mya Mangawang '95 helped keep the pressure on the Vermont defense with several dangerous sideline runs, but the Big Green could not find the goal until the 19-minute mark.

Molly Stryker '95 began the scoring play when she sent a high cross from the left side into the mouth of the goal. When Huyffer could not come up with the ball, Brittanny Boulanger '95 was there to punch it into the goal.

The Dartmouth defense was also doing its share in the first half. Led by Jess Andre '94 and Holly Thomas '97, the Big Green totally shut down the Vermont offense. Starting goalkeeper Michelle Conroy '95 was never challenged in the half and did not have to make a save.

"We played a very good first 75 minutes," Coach Steve Swanson said. "We really controlled the game from our goal line to their 18" yard line.

But Vermont stepped up their play in the final 15 minutes. The 'Cats evened the score with eight minutes remaining when Kelly Desmond drove a well-placed shot by lunging Dartmouth keeper Heidi Hatchel '96.

That set the stage for McBean's heroics.

"I just said to myself [after Vermont's goal] that we've got to get going," McBean said. "We weren't playing our game then."

McBean collected the ball in the penalty box, calmly beat two Vermont defenders, and then fired a perfectly placed shot by Huyffer.

When she got the ball, "everything was all jumbled up" McBean said. "I took on my player, turned, and found myself one on one with the keeper."

Swanson described the game-winner as "a great individual effort, a good finish off of a nice move."

Swanson also praised the play of Vermont, who now leads the series between the two teams, 12-2-2.

"They're always tough," Swanson said. "They really stepped up their game in the last 15 minutes, and they scored a good goal. That's the sign of a good team."

Swanson was also pleased with his team's performance.

"We've got it up to playing 75 good minutes. We just have to start playing 90," he said. "This is our best start, record-wise, in a while. But as nice as our record is, our players know that we haven't unlocked our full potential yet."

The Big Green try for their seventh win of the season as the women square off against Ivy foe Brown Saturday at 12 p.m. on Chase Field.