Women's soccer defeats Yale

The women's soccer team extended their winning streak to four games with a 1-0 victory over Yale on Saturday in New Haven, Conn.

Annalisa Gorman '94 provided the scoring punch for the Big Green, sending a sharp left-footed volley into the net off a cross from Mya Mangawang '95. Gorman's second goal of the season was all that Dartmouth needed to remain undefeated in Ivy League play and to raise its overall record to 5-1.

Coach Steve Swanson said that he was pleased with the outcome of the game, but not satisfied.

"We didn't play very well in the first half," he said. "We were a little impatient and we rushed some things."

Swanson cited Yale's wide field as the reason for the team's impatience.

"We finally had some space to work in, something we haven't had the past two games," he said.

But Dartmouth soon settled down and began to dominate at the beginning of the second half. After Gorman's goal ten minutes into the half, the Big Green took control and had several other scoring opportunities. Dartmouth ended up outshooting Yale, 22-6.

"The Ivy League is so competitive now that anytime you win an Ivy game, it's a big game," he said. "Yale was also ranked as high as 18th nationally and 4th regionally earlier in the season.".

Swanson concedes that this victory helps Dartmouth's chances towards an Ivy title, yet he firmly stresses that the idea of winning the title stays far back in the minds of his players and himself.

"We just concentrate on how well we're playing at the moment," he said. "We can only control what we do on the field. We know that it's going to be very difficult the rest of the way and that other teams are going to be looking out for us. We just have to take one game at a time."

The Big Green look ready to accept the challenge of their coach. The team is playing well now and everyone, from the freshmen to the veterans, is contributing, according to Swanson.

Dartmouth looks to continue its winning ways on Wednesday, as the women square off against Vermont at 3:30 p.m. on Chase Field. Saturday, the Big Green faces Ivy rival Brown at 12 p.m., also at Chase Field.