Three lacrosse players make All-American

On weekends throughout the next year, three Dartmouth students will attend All-American Lacrosse practices in the Baltimore area in preparation for a three-week-long world tour in June 1994.

During the weekend of June 6th through 8th, two Dartmouth women and one graduate made the All-American Lacrosse Team. Ginger Smith '92 made the elite squad, which is half of the 60-member national team and is comprised entirely of college graduates. Lauren Holleran '95, who plays attack, and Kim Cohen '94, a goalie, made the developmental squad which is comprised of undergraduates.

The three Dartmouth students traveled during Spring term's final exam week to Germantown Academy in Philadelphia where they spent three exhausting days practicing and playing games judged by college and U.S. team coaches, Holleran said.

Among the Lacrosse players invited to try out were current Division I first- and second-team All-Americans, Division III first-team All-Americans and players selected from the National Tournament, Cohen said. Dartmouth is in Division I.

Ellen Bruce '94, Holleran and Smith were first-team All-Americans last year. Cohen was second-team. Bruce decided not to travel to Philadelphia for the try-outs, Cohen said.

After making cuts on Saturday and Sunday, team members were finally announced on Sunday afternoon.

Equal numbers of attack and defensive players were taken, Holleran said, but exact positions on the team are not frozen. The team will have several opportunities to get organized before the tour next Spring.

"We'll probably go to England and Japan," Holleran said.

Additional try-outs will be held at a later date to select 16 of the 60 for the 1997 World Cup Team.