The way you do the things you do

Rodrigo Martinez '95, a self-proclaimed "multi-faceted renaissance guy," woke up at seven this morning. He grabbed a quick breakfast on the run in order to arrive on time for 7:45 French drill, which he attends five days a week to brush up his speaking skills in preparation for a Language Study Abroad program in Lyon, France this fall.

Then it was off to two classes before hurrying back to his room in the Zeta Psi fraternity house to write up a pre-lab assignment. He was perfectly willing to squeeze in an interview with The Dartmouth over lunch -- a bag of Doritos -- and a biology textbook, before heading out to a 2 p.m. lab.

Of course, if this were not a Tuesday, Martinez would have no four-hour lab. But then again, if he weren't at lab he'd probably be playing tennis, waterskiing, rock climbing or mountain biking, possibly even all on the same day.

"I love the outdoors," he said. "Part of the reason I came to school here is to do all the things I can't do in Florida. I love that Dartmouth has so much to offer." He was already thinking ahead to the weekend's activity: Sophomores from the Source, a four-day, 95-mile canoe trip from the source of the Connecticut River.

Martinez is just one of many Super Students at Dartmouth. In fact, most of the College's undergraduates are involved in at least one activity outside the classroom, from the more popular jobs, Greek organizations and athletic teams, to the slightly off-beat Robert Burns Society -- a club of "feasting, revelry, carousal and wassail" named after a Scottish romantic poet -- and Bait and Bullet, the hunting and fishing organization.

Kristine Hong '95 rarely finds an evening to just kick back and relax. Each week she meets with the Asian-American Pacific Forum and the Women of Color support group, trains to become a sexual abuse peer adviser and runs women's coalition dinners at the Women's Resource Center. Sometimes she even has time to practice Tae Kwon Do, a form of martial arts.

Ben Murphy '95 maintains there is more to Dartmouth than studying and partying, and that appears to have become his guiding principle. He is serving as a programming assistant this summer, running his residential cluster, while balancing varsity football practice, a job in the weight room and United Nations at Dartmouth conferences -- and four classes.

Between glee club and marching band rehearsals and running the College's Lutheran Student Fellowship, Matt Siano '95 always makes it his business to incorporate ballroom dancing classes into his weekly schedule.

Throughout her sophomore year, Danielle Moore '95 served as an undergraduate advisor, an officer in Native Americans at Dartmouth and a member of Native Women's Society and the Student Assembly. She also volunteered for the activities program at Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital and coached a third and fourth-grade boys' basketball team. This summer she is vice president of Delta Delta Delta sorority.

Many people wonder how these people do it all. "I think it's really a matter of organizing and being responsible," Moore said. "You set your priorities early, and know when to stay in and when to get out."

According to Steve Gord '95, organization is the key to remaining happy when involved in a lot of things. He said he is amazed by how many hours he can find in the day to devote to being the programming director of the College's FM radio station, house manager of Psi Upsilon fraternity and a member of the golf team.

"I'm so much happier when I'm involved because it gives me a sense of worth," he said. "Having people depend on me is a good way to build up my self-esteem."

Gord said it is much easier to get involved in college than in high school because there is a much wider array of activities, and "as a college student you really don't have many obligations other than minimal class time."

Yes, somewhere, in the midst of all these practices, meetings and concerts -- believe it or not -- every student at Dartmouth does take classes. In fact, some argue that is why we are here. But how do we manage to find enough hours in the day to go to class, do homework assignments and study?

Ironically, many say their academic performance improves under pressure. Gord said the busier he is, the better he does in his classes because he budgets his time more effectively.

"When I'm busiest my studies always fall into place," Siano said. "What I've learned to do because my schedule is so tight and I have so little free time is set up blocks of time after I figure out when my classes and activities are, and block out study time."

But in extending themselves across so many facets of college life, students must often make compromises.

"What gives?" Murphy asked, although he already seemed to know the answer. "Everything gives." For him and Hong it is sleep that is sacrificed for their involvements.

Martinez, though, said he goes to bed early because he loves the daytime. He admitted his solution is not ideal because night life at Dartmouth starts very late.

Moore, too, said her social life sometimes suffers, but added, "I get most of my social life through activities and interacting with people in that sense rather than necessarily going out every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday night."

"Usually if anything's going to have to slide, it's when something extra comes up, like when I have an extra rehearsal around mid-terms or when a big paper is due," Siano said. He said the people who run the activities are usually very understanding when extenuating circumstances arise.

Several students have worked out strategies for budgeting their time and balancing all their interests. Here are some of their helpful hints.

"I don't take on too much so I can devote a fair amount of time to each activity," Hong said.

"Don't be afraid to go out and try anything new," Murphy advised. "Get involved in a lot and you'll stick with those that have the most interest; if you don't get involved in different activities, you kind of lead a one-dimensional life at Dartmouth."

Siano starts early. "Usually what I try to do at the beginning of each term," he said, "is look at my syllabi and schedule of activities and try to resolve conflicts as early as possible."

Daisy Alpert '95, a history major, member of the Dodecaphonics, an a capella singing group, and French drill instructor, said it is important for students to know their limits.

"You can't do everything today," she said. "Give yourself time to dedicate yourself to the things you want to do. It takes time; you don't have to do it all freshman fall."

Her survival tactic: "Organize your time, but you still have to give yourself time to hang out."

Yes, even Super Students find time to kick back and relax.

In the evening, between dinner at McDonald's, designing a fraternity newsletter and finishing his homework, Martinez plans to sit around and play guitar with his buddies. And when midnight rolls around, he will be ready for bed, already pumped up to take on tomorrow.