The game is afoot! Assembly race begins again anew

Student Assembly presidential candidates again blanketed the campus with campaign materials in preparation for the May 6 special election.

With only three days of campaigning, the three new candidates -- juniors Matthew Berry, Mark Daly and Michael Massengale -- have to inform the student body of their platforms quickly.

Fellow candidates Nicole Artzer, Mark Harrison, Andrew Smith and Aaron Taylor, who are all juniors, ran in the April election.

This three-day campaign started quietly, with no allegations or controversy. The last election, which ended with president-elect Stewart Shirasu '94 resigning, was awash with controversy even before campaigning began.

Because new candidates have entered the race, the Greek Key Society will sponsor another candidates' debate Wednesday May 5, said Jen Suhie, the junior service society's president.

In the April election, in which 1,735 students voted, Artzer finishing second to Shirasu. Shirasu won with a staunch pro-Greek and student services platform.

Daly, who is the president of the Coed Fraternity Sorority Council which governs the College's Greek system, is endorsed by the Interfraternity Council, the umbrella organization of the College's fraternities.

Massengale is the chairman of the Board of Proprietors for Hanover Review Inc., which publishes the off-campus conservative newspaper The Dartmouth Review.

He said his platform advocates revamping the Student Assembly's structure because the current system does not represent the student body.

"The Student Assembly is an inherently flawed system," he said. "It is inherently unrepresentative."

Massengale said he would try to change the Assembly's constitution so representatives would be more responsible to the student body.

He said he suggested breaking the Dartmouth campus into districts, with each district represented by one student.

"When a student wants to voice concern, he or she knows where to go," he said. "And most importantly, when students feel that the Assembly is out of line, they know who to blame."

Massengale said he advocates abolishing the Assembly and replacing it with a new legislative group if internal reform is unsuccessful.

Massengale said he believes the Assembly should not address political issues unless they directly affect the College. During the previous election, some candidates criticized the Assembly for overstepping its bounds by speaking out on issues that are not directly related to Dartmouth.

He added that other campaign issues are peripheral to his central campaign theme of drastically reworking the Assembly's structure.

Massengale said his political views are not relevant to the campaign.

"We don't need political interests on the Assembly, we need student interests controlling the actions of our Student Assembly," he said.

Harrison was endorsed by the the Dartmouth Area Gay-Lesbian Organization.