Rumors of unsafe water prove untrue

Apparently false reports of lead contamination in the water at Kappa Chi Kappa fraternity sparked a flurry of false rumors this weekend that water on campus was not safe to drink.

Town and College officials said yesterday that contrary to several Blitzmail messages that circulated this weekend, water on campus was not poisoned and is safe to drink.

At least three different messages sent around campus said a lead pipe had fallen in the reservoir of the Hanover Water Company, shedding dangerous levels of lead into the College's water supply.

But Carl Brink, the recently-retired superintendent of the company, said even if a lead pipe had been thrown into the main reservoir, which contains 217 million gallons of water, the pipe would not contaminate the water for at least several months, if at all.

Ed Brown Jr., the executive vice president for the water company, said there is no reason to be alarmed. He said in order for the supposed lead pipe to effect the water, the reservoir water would have to be acidic and have no oxygen, which he said is "not possible."

Scott Anderson '95 said he called Hanover Police, who told him the warning not to drink water was limited to Kappa Chi Kappa fraternity at 1 Webster Avenue. He said police spokesmen were not able to provide any more information.

A member of Kappa Chi Kappa said he had spoken with house officers who said the fraternity received a prank phone call and Blitzmail message Friday claiming water in the house was contaminated.

Also on Friday an unidentified individual called The Dartmouth and left a message inquiring about placing an advertisement about lead contaminated water.

The fraternity brother said house officers checked with Hanover Police and were told there was no contamination.

Director of Buildings and Grounds Dick Plummer said last night he had not received any notice of water contamination on campus or in Hanover.

Rumors circulated over electronic mail that a construction worker's drill broke through a water main pipe in the steam tunnel under the closed Webster Avenue, which runs East-West behind Baker Library.

But a Hanover Police dispatcher said no breaks were reported and Brink said the breaking of a pipe with a drill bit would not cause any harm to the water.

Plummer said no lead accumulation has been found by the spot tests of the water conducted each month.

A water survey done by the Hanover Water Company has shown that only two samples out of 40 exceed the limit set by the Environmental Protection Agency of 15 parts per billion of lead.

The two samples show that the water contained 17 parts per billion of lead. Brown and Brink called the number "extremely low."

Brink said the main reservoir is patrolled by a company employee and it is unlikely that anyone could throw a pipe into the system.