The Weekend Roundup: Week 1

Men's hockey

The men’s hockey team lost 4-1 against Union College but defeated Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 6-5 in overtime this past weekend to bring its record to 5-9-2 overall and 3-5-1 in Eastern College Athletic Conference play. On Friday, Union struck twice in the first period, but the Big Green was able to hold off the Dutchmen in the second. While Union opened up third-period scoring at 4:52 to give the Dutchmen a 3-0 advantage, Quin Foreman ’21 found the back of the net at 15:15 off an assist by Kevan Kilistoff ’19 for Dartmouth’s only goal of the game. Union won 4-1 with a final empty net goal. Dartmouth was outshot 36 to 34, and Devin Buffalo ’18 recorded 32 saves.

The team looked to redeem itself Saturday night against Rensselaer. The Big Green opened up scoring in the game on a goal by Matt Baker ’21 16:43 into the first period assisted by Alex Jasiek ’19 and Clay Han ’20. Corey Kalk ’18 helped the team strike again a little more than a minute later on a powerplay called against Rensselaer for holding.The men’s momentum continued into the second period with Will Graber ’20 scoring 28 seconds into the period off an assist by Shane Sellar ’20.Sellar found the back of the net after the Engineers scored, bringing the game to 4-1. Rensselaer scored three goals in the second and once again 17:11 into the third. With less than a minute left, the Big Green pulled Buffalo for the extra skater, and Foreman tied the game with his second goal of the night. 4:10 into overtime, Kilistoff scored the game-winning goal off a deflection from Less and Tim Shoup ’18. Buffalo recorded 19 saves in the win. This weekend, Dartmouth will take the ice again when it hosts Quinnipiac University on Friday and Princeton University on Saturday.

Women's ice hockey

Dartmouth women’s ice hockey had a successful weekend away with a 3-2 win against Union College on Friday and a 3-3 overtime tie against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on Saturday to bring the record to 4-10-1 overall and 2-7-1 in Eastern College Athletic Conference play. On Friday, the team traveled to Schenectady, New York to face off against the Dutchwomen at Messa Rink. After Caroline Shaunessy ’19 was called for hooking 4:41 in the first, Union was able to find the back of the net to open up scoring for the game. However, the women responded with not one but two goals in the same period. The first was scored by Christina Rombaut ’20, assisted by Kate Landers ’19 and Alyssa Baker ’19, at 12:16, while the second was a power play goal scored by Shaunessy off an assist by Morgan Turner ’18 and Sydney Hill ’20 less than three minutes later. Union struck again at the beginning of the second, but Shaunessy found the back of the net for the second time of the night at 15:01. The Big Green was able to hold off the Dutchwomen in the third despite being outshot 13-11 to win 3-2. Goaltender Christine Honor ’19 recorded 25 saves in the victory.

The team was back on the ice Saturday night in Troy, New York to take on Rensselaer. The game remained scoreless until 7:57 into the second when Baker scored on a power play with the help of captain Hailey Noronha ’18. Baker helped the team find the back of the net once again at 14:38, assisting Megan Cornell’s ’21 goal. Rensselaer, however, responded 22 seconds later to bring the score to 1-2. The Engineers started off the third period strong and scored two goals, with the later coming off a powerplay against Bailee Brekke ’20 for hooking. The Big Green did not let this stop them. Linda Essery ’21 scored the game-tying goal at 16:51 with the help of Jennifer Costa ’21 and Taylor Matherson ’21. Neither team could find the back of the net in overtime and a tie was called after the additional five minutes of play was over. Honor recorded 42 saves in the game, as opposed to Rensselaer’s Lovisa Selander’s 26, for a save percentage of 0.933. This weekend, Dartmouth will face off against Cornell University and Colgate University.

Men's basketball

In its first game of Ivy play, the men’s basketball team fell to Harvard University with a final score of 61-51 on Saturday. Despite coming back from Harvard’s 15-point lead early in the second half and briefly taking the lead by three points, the Big Green was unable to hold off the Crimson, who improve to 6-9 overall and 1-0 in the Ivy League. Miles Wright ’18 led the team with a season-high 23 points and seven rebounds. This was Wright’s seventh career 20-point game; he was the only Big Green player to score in the double digits. Taylor Johnson ’18 and Brendan Barry ’20 were the next highest contributing players, each adding seven points respectfully, while Aaryn Rai ’21 trailed with an additional six points. Dartmouth has lost its last 11 Ivy League openers, which have all been against Harvard. The Big Green will host the University of Vermont this Wednesday at 7 p.m.

Women's basketball

The women’s basketball team defeated Harvard University 63-56 at Leede Arena Saturday night in its first Ivy League game of the season, bringing its overall record to 9-5. With the win, the women surpassed last year’s 8-19 overall record. The women led 14-10 after the first quarter of play and held their lead through halftime. The Crimson scored 18 points in the third period but were equally matched by the Big Green. While Dartmouth was outshot 19-14 in the fourth, the team was able to hold its lead to defeat Harvard. Cy Lippold ’19 led the team in points with 19 scored in 28 minutes of play. Olivia Smith ’18 added 12 points in 30 minutes played. The team will be back in action on Jan. 20 when it travels to Boston to play Harvard again.

Track and field

Men’s and women’s track and field hosted the 49th annual Dartmouth Relays this past weekend, hosting various collegiate and high school teams from around the Northeast. The three days of competition culminated on Sunday with the collegiate competition, which featured multiple wins for the Big Green. The women won its eighth consecutive Dartmouth Relays while the men finished in second, losing to Northeastern University. On the men’s side, Reed Horton ’19 won the men’s mile by four seconds in 4:15.02, while Trevor Colby ’19 took the men’s 800-meter run in 1:56.98 and Henry Raymond ’20 placed first in the 3,000-meter run in 8:27.20. For the women, Cha’Mia Rothwell ’20 won the 60-meter hurdles (8.48 seconds) and placed second in the long jump with 18-09.00 feet (5.71 meters). Kate Laskoski ’21 won the 400-meter dash in 58.41 seconds, while Julia Valenti ’20 won the pole vault, clearing 12-05.50 feet (3.80 meters). The team of Kayla Gilding ’19, Laskoski, Jacqueline Perron-Smith ’19 and Caroline Walter ’21 won the 4x400-meter relay in 3:59.87.

Swimming and diving

Swimming returned to the water this weekend in its first meet since Dec. 3 in a conference-in-meet against the University of Pennsylvania and Yale University.

Saturday’s events began with the 200-yard freestyle relay, where Carter Jacobsen ’19, Brandon Liao ’21, Gabriel Mathews ’21 and Henry Patrick ’19 swam to third place, touching just a second in front of fourth-place Yale. Justin Sodokoff ’21 highlighted Day 1 for the men with his first-place finish on the 1-meter board. The men trailed Yale 144-42 and Penn 125-61 heading into Sunday.

The women also had a successful 200-yard freestyle relay, finishing third behind the efforts of Katherine Cane ’21, Alie Hunter ’21, Summer Martin ’21 and Sophie Smith ’20. In one of her three events on the day, Mackenzie Stumpf ’21 placed third in the 100-yard breaststroke. The women trailed Yale 154-32 and Penn 134-52 after Day 1.

On Day 2, Connor LaMastra ’21 had a pool-record-breaking second-place finish in the 400-yard IM. LaMastra, Penn’s Mark Andrew and Yale’s Jonathon Rutter each broke the 37-year-old record. Dartmouth lost 249-104 to Penn and 277-76 to Yale in its first meet of 2018.

Stumpf swam well again for the Big Green on Saturday with a fourth-place finish in the 200-yard breaststroke and a fifth-place finish in the 200-yard backstroke. Dartmouth ended the day with a third-place finish in the 400-yard freestyle relay. In the end, women’s swimming fell 235-118 to Penn and 296-57 to Yale.

Men’s and women’s swimming returns to the pool in two weeks when the Big Green hosts the Dartmouth Invitational.