Hanover braces for primary frenzy: Sen. John Edwards asserts his ability to beat Pres. Bush in general election

After a surprise second-place finish in Monday's Iowa caucuses, Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards hosted a well-attended town hall meeting at the Top of the Hop Thursday afternoon.

The North Carolina senator's stump speech criticized the existence of what he called "two Americas," with respect to income-based disparities in health care, education and taxes. While painting broad strokes and urging the audience to read his campaign material, Edwards laid out his optimistic and progressive platform.

"One America knows that they are secure, their futures are secure, and their children's futures are succor, and then there is everybody else," Edwards said.

While Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry's New Hampshire poll numbers skyrocketed following his upset win in the Iowa caucuses, Edwards has not seen similar success in the state. In the days after Monday's caucuses, Edwards' New Hampshire poll numbers show his support in the state is still in the single digits. Thursday's Reuters/MSNBC/Zogby poll showed Edwards' support at 8 percent.

Edwards focused on his ability to defeat President Bush in the general election, which polls showed was the most important factor in Iowans' voting. He mentioned that no Democrat has ever won the White House without winning at least five Southern states, pointing to his success in North Carolina.

"I am a guy who can beat George Bush every place in America," Edwards said. "I can beat him in the North, in the West, in the Midwest, and talkin' like this, in the South."

He repeatedly criticized those he said were "fleecing America," be it credit card companies, insurers or "war profiteers." Edwards himself is a millionaire personal injury lawyer, which many say drives up the cost of insurance. He addressed this possible contradiction in his background by framing his courtroom wins as defeating greedy corporations.

A main issue for Edwards is his perceived inexperience, which he transformed into a possible positive, as a Washington outsider. This is despite the fact that Edwards has spent six years now in the Senate. He made a campaign promise in his 1998 Senate win to not accept campaign donations from lobbyists, and laid out a promise to ban lobbyists' contributions altogether if elected President, driving home his anti-Washington tone.

When asked by a member in the audience how he feels about being named People Magazine's sexiest politician in 2001, Edwards deflected the question, answering with a criticism of President Bush's plan to send a man to Mars.

The audience, comprised of mostly the middle-aged and elderly but also some Dartmouth students, found Edwards a compelling candidate. Many had never seen Edwards in person, and were impressed by his optimism, electability, and presence.

"Seeing him has made up my mind," said one Democratic woman leaving the Hop. "Before I was thinking Kerry, but now I'm going to vote for Edwards."

Others described his performance as "awesome," agreeing that he could defeat Bush if given the chance. Audience members also were attracted to Edwards' refusal to run negative advertising or overtly attack the other candidates.

Even one Republican said that she is going to vote for Edwards, although does not plan on changing her party registration to vote in the primary.

"I found his optimism refreshing," said Sue Ellen Lewgers, a Republican from Plainfield. "If he wins the nomination, I would vote for him over Bush."