Scott E. Jacobs
The Setonian
Opinion

Figure It Out, People

Snapshot "Dartmouth students are racist." "He's a faggot." "Dartmouth is up in booneyville, New Hampshire -- totally out of touch with the rest of the world." "Chink!" Death threat with a star of David on a door to someone's home. We are in Hanover, New Hampshire, which indeed could qualify as booneyville.

The Setonian
Opinion

College's Policies Defeat Their Goals

When you applied to Dartmouth, did you know what the social life here was all about? I bet you didn't find anywhere in the brochures the statement: "Students at the College rely on The Greek Scene for any and all social activities." So maybe this is a slight exaggeration of the truth, but it is based in the fact that for many Dartmouth students, the only conceivable option for some Friday-night fun is "fratting." Yet Parkhurst claims to be making a concerted effort to make students happier and provide alternatives.

The Setonian
Opinion

Where is the Women's Resource Center?

Walking past Kiewit, back to the Green, I passed a friend of mine who greeted me with "Hey, where are you coming from?" Not an abnormal greeting, especially by Dartmouth fast-paced-tunnel-vision-busy-students' standards.

The Setonian
Opinion

Proposition 209: Wrong for CA and Us

California's Proposition 209 bans any type of preference given on the basis of "race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting." It essentially means that programs intended to aid in attaining diversity in governmentally-funded institutions will be eliminated.

More articles »