Shortening the Election Campaign Period Was a Necessary Move by the EAC

To the Editor:

I would like to address the House Editorial printed on April 9 criticizing the Election Advisory Committee for shortening the Student Assembly campaign period [The Dartmouth, "Election Without Debate?" April 9]. First, let me say that the EAC is not responsible for the lack of candidates in an election. Clearly, this phenomenon speaks to the attractiveness of the positions, or lack thereof, and not to the effectiveness of the campaign rules.

One of the presidential candidates has had posters up since the outset of spring term, and all three candidates have been official since then. The EAC has no control, and rightly so, over campaign strategies. These are up to the individual candidates, though I agree that there is a general lack of activity among the candidates' camps thus far. The candidates last year were universally and emphatically in favor of shortened election periods due to the unnecessary stresses placed on them and the distraction from the work of the Assembly.

Speaking as an alumnus of the campaigns, the period unquestionably was too long last year. The two -and-a-half weeks provided to candidates this year, as opposed to the three weeks last year, are more than sufficient time to meet with students, discuss issues and debate important points. But, as always, the initiative to actually do these things falls in the hands of the candidates.