Jacques P. Hebert
The Setonian
News

College taps Spalding '76 for Alum Relations

Ending an extensive nationwide search which included close consultation with many Dartmouth alumni, the College announced Tuesday that David Spalding '76 will succeed Stanley Colla '66, Tu'86 as Dartmouth's Vice President for Alumni Relations. Spalding's post will require him to sustain strong ties among Dartmouth's nearly 60,000 alumni upon assuming his office in October.

The Setonian
News

Hopkins hired to promote athletics

The Dartmouth athletic department announced Friday that Sam Hopkins, a member of the athletic marketing office at Brown University, will be joining Dartmouth as assistant director of athletics for marketing and promotions.

The Setonian
News

Students adopt five children, remain abroad

When she decided to participate in a service trip to Central America during her junior summer, Annabel Raebeck '04 could never have imagined she would become the parent of five foster children. It was while working at a family care center in Honduras that she and fellow Dartmouth student Katie Harrison '04 took it upon themselves to adopt five neglected Honduran children, whom they cared for until May 2005 after graduating from the College. According to Raebeck, Harrison learned of the opportunity through the Dartmouth chapter of the Navigators Christian group, which sends Dartmouth students to serve at a family care center in Flor del Campo, a slum on the outskirts of Tegucigalpa, Honduras.

The Setonian
News

'Unspoken rule' obstructs faculty-student dating

Dartmouth undergraduates seeking age and maturity in an on-campus romantic partner are in luck. Though the Dartmouth student dating pool has disappointed some, the College currently maintains no written policy prohibiting students from dating members of the faculty. While student-faculty dating at Dartmouth has not created enough attention to necessitate an official policy, several other peer academic institutions have recently instated guidelines as a result of specific instances. However, a feeling of uncertainty and confusion envelops the issue, leaving students and members of the faculty unsure of what the boundaries are. Director of the Ethics Institute Aine Donovan stressed that maintaining professionalism and a sense of community is important in consideringwhether professors should be allowed to date students. "As a community, we try to counsel professionals that may be entering into areas of embarrassment," she said. While no official written guidelines exist, an unspoken rule bars professors from having an amorous relationship with students in their class.

More articles »