Dartmouth religious organizations provide services for all walks of faith

Members of the Class of 2009 hoping to nourish their souls in addition to their minds have a wide variety of religious organizations available to them at the College. The active network of spiritual groups on campus provides an array of services for students, from social outings to opportunities for worship.

The College ceased requiring daily spiritual worship in 1925. Still, many students continue to engage their respective faiths on a more personal level through participation in groups around campus and the Upper Valley.

While some students choose to worship in private groups, the majority of religious organizations on campus were formed with the support of the Tucker Foundation, which was founded to further the moral and spiritual life of the College. Additionally, the Tucker Foundation coordinates a multitude of community service opportunities and secular organizations.

Students unable to find representation for their belief systems can contact the Tucker Foundation to establish a group of their own.

Muslim organizations

For Dartmouth students who adhere to the Islamic religion, Al-Nur holds daily prayer meetings and Friday Jumaa prayers at the Rollins Chapel near Baker-Berry Library.

Additionally, Al-Nur holds Ramadan, Eid and other Muslim festival celebrations and sponsors a variety of programming events and community service events throughout the Upper Valley.

Jewish organizations

Next to the Choates residential cluster on the west side of campus is the eight-year-old Roth Center, which houses Hillel -- the center of Jewish life at Dartmouth.

Hillel, which sponsors a wide variety of social, cultural, intellectual and religious events, is an active presence on campus.

Shabbat services followed by home-cooked dinners are available every Friday evening, and Torah readings followed by potluck lunches occur on Saturday mornings.

Hillel also sponsors bagel brunches, an annual Purim masquerade ball, the Ski Shabbaton at Killington resort and holiday celebrations.

Chabad, an additional Jewish resource on campus, offers Shabbat dinners led by Rabbi Moshe Leib Gray and his family.

Christian organizations

More than a dozen distinct organizations offer worship opportunities and programming events for Christians of all varieties.

The Catholic population may want to visit Aquinas House, located at the end of Webster Avenue.

In addition to a chapel, all students have twenty-four-hour access to AQ's facilities including a library, computer room, study lounge, game room, television room and kitchen.

In addition to Mass, Aquinas House offers a variety of activities such as bible study, retreats, social events, lectures and "God-Squad" intramural sports teams, shared with students from Hillel.

Protestant students have several campus groups such as the Navigators Christian Fellowship, Christian Impact (formerly known as Campus Crusade for Christ) and the Asian Christian Fellowship, all offering weekly bible study meetings and organized retreats.