From staff and wire reports
The Setonian
News

Monday's poll indicates N.H. vote still dead heat

A poll released in New Hampshire Monday shows Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry and President Bush locked in a near dead heat as voters head to the polls. The final tracking poll, conducted by the University of New Hampshire for WMUR-TV, had Kerry picking up 49 percent and Bush 48 percent. One percent said they would vote for another candidate, including Ralph Nader, and 1 percent were undecided. Both Bush and Kerry picked up one percentage point since the poll surveyed likely voters by telephone Sunday, while the number of undecided and third-party voters each dropped one percentage point. The poll's results indicate that New Hampshire's four electoral votes could again prove decisive this year.

The Setonian
Sports

Haggard '03 one of 10 nominees for women's hockey's top honor

Junior forward Carly Haggard (Port Alberni, B.C.) has been named one of the 10 finalists for the 2002 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award. The award recognizes the accomplishments of the most outstanding player in women's intercollegiate varsity hockey each season. "It's a great honor," Haggard said last night. "The other nine nominees are great players," she added.

The Setonian
News

United States and Britain join in military effort; Bush says 'we will fulfill' the anti-terrorist mission

On Sunday night in Afghanistan, weeks of waiting for the fallout of the Sept. 11th incidents came to fruition as a wave of American and British air assaults were launched against the nation. Early reports had cruise missile and B-1, B-2 and B-52 bomber strikes aimed at "carefully targeted" locations such as al Qaeda training camps and Taliban military centers in and around the cities of Kabul, Jalalabad and Kandahar. The campaign represented a joint effort between the United States and Great Britain; several other nations including Germany, Canada, France and Australia provided support through intelligence and logistical means. "There can be no peace in a world of sudden peril ... We did not ask for this mission, but we will fulfill it," President Bush said from the White House at 1:00 p.m.

The Setonian
Sports

Development team adds depth

Dartmouth Ski Teams have spawned 86 Olympians. Dartmouth's varsity skiing program is one of the most visible collegiate ski programs in the world, with a history dating back to the inauguration of the sport, hosting the first ski race in the world.

The Setonian
News

Police name woman found dead on river

Hanover Police identified the woman whose body was found on the icy surface of the Connecticut River near Ledyard Bridge shortly before noon on Wednesday as Olga Diaz, 75, of Hanover. While the police continue to investigate the circumstances of Diaz's death, according to a press release from Hanover Police Chief Nick Giaccone yesterday, they do not feel that the woman's death was the result of foul play. The results of the autopsy, which was performed yesterday, were not yet being released to the public . Diaz has been a resident of Hanover's Housing for the Elderly since 1997, when she moved there from Claremont, N.H.

The Setonian
News

Woman found dead on Conn. River

Shortly before noon yesterday, an elderly woman was found dead on the Connecticut River near the Ledyard Bridge, the Hanover Police reported. The woman's death does not appear suspicious, a police department press release announced. The police are refusing to release further details pending the notification of the woman's relatives. Onlookers gathered around the scene speculated the woman had slipped on ice and fell off the bridge.

The Setonian
Sports

Lady Vols regain top spot in AP

Tennessee replaced Notre Dame atop The Associated Press women's basketball poll Monday, a familiar spot for the Lady Vols but one they haven't held since February 1999. Tennessee (26-1) received 33 of 40 first-place votes and 992 points from the national media panel, moving up from No.

More articles »