Big Green tennis gets home win

Despite the massive amounts of snow covering the landscape of the Upper Valley, collegiate tennis is still heating things up inside the Boss Tennis Center. The Dartmouth women's tennis team knocked off Boston College, 4-3, last Saturday here in Hanover.

The Eagles, a top-60 ranked team, came into Hanover not knowing what to expect. What they received was a lesson in hard-nosed tennis.

The number-one doubles team of Sarita Yardi '02 and Carly Bashleben '02 smacked around BC's number-one squad 8-2, while the freshman duo of Jayme Ahmed and Lisa Borowsky edged out an 8-6 victory at the number-three spot.

The doubles point won is only that, a single point, and the women knew they had to get the job done individually to seal the match. Yardi, playing in the top slot, beat Eagles number-one Allison Ashley 6-1, 6-2 setting the tone for the rest of the team. Ahmed continued the run by outlasting her opponent Ashley Backus 4-6, 6-1, 6-2.

Freshman Evie Stevens, not to be outdone by her classmates, also hung on to a three-set victory, knocking off Emily Yeomans 7-5, 4-6, 7-5 at the number-six spot, clinching a Dartmouth upset.

The women are now 1-0 in the fledgling stages of the spring season, and head back in action next Saturday, Feb. 16, at 2 p.m. against the University of Vermont in the Boss Tennis Center.