Daisy I. Alpert
The Setonian
News

French Conference Funded

French professor Lawrence Kritzman recently received close to $100,000 in grants from the French Embassy and contributions from American colleges and universities to sponsor an annual conference on French cultural studies. The five-week conference, called the Edouard Morot-Sir Institute for French Cultural Studies, is the first of its kind. French professors from prestigious academic institutions such as Williams College, Brandeis University and Cornell University will also attend the Institute, which will be held at Dartmouth June 28 through July 27. Kritzman said he believes the Institute "will help make French a stronger discipline in the next century." The invited scholars will examine the theme "Culture and Memory in France." The Institute is sponsored by the Committee for the Future of French Studies, which Kritzman founded in early 1991.

The Setonian
News

Students of color discuss Greek life

Seven student panelists spoke last night about their experiences as people of color within and outside of the College's Greek System, at a panel discussion sponsored by the InterRacial InterEthnic Alliance. Approximately 90 students packed Rockefeller 2 to listen to the discussion, which lasted nearly two hours. Dean of Students Lee Pelton moderated the event, which attempted to tackle the issue of race relations both on campus and in society. Danielle Moore '95 depledged her sorority at the end of summer term.

The Setonian
News

Nurse speaks on women and alcohol

Arlene Halsted, a registered nurse at the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, spoke to 10 women at Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority yesterday afternoon about the effects of alcohol on women as part of Alcohol Awareness Week. According to a 1992 study of alcohol use here, 5.6 percent of Dartmouth women drink on a daily basis, an increase from the 1989 survey. While the amount of drinking at Dartmouth has increased in recent years, most disturbing is the increase in drinking among women, Halsted said. "Women are more easily intoxicated than men," Halsted said.

The Setonian
News

Professors open Mideast series

Three professors discussed the implications and effects of the recent accord between Israel and the Palestine Liberation Organization last night during the first of a series of lectures on "The Search for Peace in the Middle East." Anthropology Professor Dale Eickelman, Asian Studies Professor Shalom Goldman and Government Professor Diederik Vandewalle formed the panel, which addressed a Rockefeller Center audience.

More articles »