Greeks attacked by panel

Independents and members of co-ed houses blasted single-sex Greek houses at a panel discussion last night in the basement of Massachusetts Hall.

Guy Harrison '94, president of the Interfraternity Council, defended the system, saying he feels more comfortable in a single-sex environment. For example, Harrison said he likes a place where he can "sit on a sofa and watch TV in my boxers."

But Harrison said the fraternities don't enjoy shouldering the burden of entertaining the campus. "Basements would be more enjoyable if we could breathe in them," he said.

About 75 students crowded to hear the discussion, called "Looking at the Greek System."

The panel was made up of five undergraduates and moderated by Rev. Gwendolyn King, the College chaplain.

The discussion was designed to present a variety of views on the Greek system.

Diana Sabot '95, a panelist who is not a member of the Greek system, said the atmosphere in fraternities is hostile to women. "Gender relations are difficult enough without institutionalized separation," she said.

Sabot said during her freshman year she "played the game" and dressed up to get into certain fraternities.

But after examining the system she said she realized that "men and women should not interact the way they do in the system."

Although she is female, Sabot said she visited fraternities during rush last week. She said she learned a lot by talking to fraternity brothers.

"I oppose the system, not individuals," Sabot said. "But it's dangerous to not see that what you do affects the entire community."

Harrison, a member of Theta Delta Chi fraternity, said being in a Greek house has made him more confident. The house is a place where he feels "at home," he said.

He said new fraternity members are required to discuss the problems of alcoholism, homophobia, rape and sexual assault at lectures.

Harrison also said the new alcohol policy has helped reduce the amount of excessive drinking.

But Harrison said these problems are not specific to the Greek system. "These are problems out there in society," he said.

Lynn Webster '94, president of Panarchy undergraduate society, said the Greek system is not worth salvaging. Panarchy recently left the Greek system, Webster said, because staying in the system is the equivalent of supporting it.

She also said that women in sororities "defeat their own purpose" by supporting a system that includes fraternities.

The Greek system makes life "a living hell" for many people by "raping women, keeping gay men and lesbians in the closet, and humiliating men during pledge period," she said.

Ann Koppel '94, who is a member of Delta Gamma sorority who represented the Panhellenic Council at the panel, defended the sorority system.

She said Webster's attack was "unfair." Koppel said that being a member of a house has made it easier for her to meet men and women in a comfortable environment.

Koppel said that all students should have the right to choose what type of house is right for them. But she did say the system should make some changes.

She also said other social alternatives should be available. "Things shouldn't be closed off to you if you are independent," she said.

Owen Gottlieb '95, an executive of Asgard, a group which promotes alternative social activities such as coffeehouses, said he believes his organization offers a viable alternative to the fraternity system.

But he said that more money needs to be given to organizations like his. "We have no budget right now," Gottlieb said.

He also defended his membership in Phi Tau co-ed house, as did many audience members who said their organizations are ignored by the College community.

Gottlieb said co-ed houses are a solution to the problems of the Greek system. "Co-ed houses promote better discussion between genders," he said.

A spirited question-and-answer period was dominated by members of Panarchy and Phi Tau who defended their preferred social setting and blamed the Greek system for influencing all students, affiliated and unaffiliated.

Co-ed house members asked why they were often ignored as an alternative to the Greek system. But Jane Deering '95, a member of Phi Tau, said that "mainstream" students tell their friends it is "social suicide" to join a co-ed house.