DIY Beauty: Dartmouth Dining Services Edition

By Julia Vallone | 1/25/16 9:00am

Picture this: It is a fine Tuesday evening. You have just returned from a two-hour workout at the gym. You feast your eyes on a delightful quinoa spinach tofu salad from Collis and a steaming cup of antioxidant-packed tea. While snacking on your holistic protein supplement, however, you suddenly realize that you accidentally finished all your homework the night before. The horror! In a tizzy you look around your room: Your laundry is done, your bed is made, your shelves have been de-cluttered. A single tear rolls down your cheek. You feel lost and devoid of purpose.

Quickly, you spot a solution to your mind-numbing boredom: a bag of goodies from Collis Market, perfect for some midweek DIY beauty treatments. With Dartmouth Dining Services to the rescue, you get to work.

Make your own oatmeal facemask!

What you'll need: 1 egg, water, oatmeal, yogurt, honey, the will to live
Instructions: Mix 1/3 cup of oatmeal with water. Stir in 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt, 2 tablespoons of honey and an egg white. Vigorously massage oatmeal rub onto face to remove makeup/general ugliness.
Shortcut: Rub off your eyeliner using the back of your hand and roll into bed.

De-puff your eyes!

What you'll need: 2 (unused) green tea bags, 1 spoon, a lot of motivation
Instructions: Wet the teabags with the tears of those who have less free time than you. Briefly cool them with the cold shoulders of your enemies, then place the teabags on your eyes for five minutes. Apply pressure with cold spoon for 30 seconds. The caffeine combined with the cold compress will shrink the unsightly appearance of blood vessels.
Shortcut: Douse your face with this morning’s coffee. Ta-da!

Exfoliate your skin!

What you'll need: Baking soda, water, great time management skills
Instructions: Mix four cups of baking soda with one cup of water. Apply to face using circular motions. Let sit for three minutes, and then rinse with cold water.
Shortcut: Listen to “Baking Soda” by Plies and Tyga.

Zap your pimples!

What you'll need:1 orange, peppermint, a normal sleep schedule
Instructions: Peel the orange and collect the rinds using your handy dorm room mortar and pestle. Grind together with peppermint and a splash of citrus juice. Dab onto pimples. Let sit for five minutes.
Shortcut: Brush your teeth. Forget to wipe the excess toothpaste from the corners of your mouth. Enjoy a pimple-free smile!

Make your skin baby soft!

What you'll need:4 tablespoons olive oil, 2 avocados, 1 carton Greek yogurt
Instructions: Combine olive oil and Greek yogurt. Mash avocados into the mix. Apply the product onto dry skin (avoid eyes and any/all genital regions). Rinse with warm water.
Shortcut: Buy some lotion.

Julia Vallone