A Finals Guide to Hidden Study Spaces

| 3/5/15 8:22am

Well, it’s that time of year again — 15W finals are upon us. Here @Dartbeat, we’re well aware that at this time of year we’ve traditionally provided campus with a cut-and-paste list of our favorite study spots, highlighting one or two spots that are mildly out of the ordinary.

This year, in the spirit of helping to Move Dartmouth Forward (#MDF), we’ve decided to break from our old traditions. Instead of the usual spiel, we’ll be providing you with a list of hidden study spots on campus, some of which not even the most veteran of upperclassmen have ever used.

“The Sanborn Desk”

The only desk —and really the only object at all —located on the third floor of Sanborn, “The Sanborn Desk” can be found right at the top of a small wooden staircase. Its in-reach fire extinguisher provides a comforting feeling of safety that adds to the spot's appeal, and it can’t be beat if you need a quiet place to cram. Note: if this desk is taken, we hear there’s another solitary desk on the third floor of Sherman.

“The Math Nerd Lounge”

Located in Kemeny, the undergraduate math lounge tends to be occupied by only a few people at any given time, making it easy to find a spot by the windows. Be wary of procrastination, though —it’s not unusual to catch yourself observing the people who walk between Berry and the LSC instead of doing your work.

“This Library is Alive… With the Sound of Music”

Ever heard of the Paddock Music Library? Most students on campus haven’t, but thanks to its location on the lower level of the Hopkins Center the Paddock Library is generally empty —and always cozy. Despite our joke, it’s also quiet.

“That Library for Kids Who Live in the River”

Shhhh! The Feldberg Library is so silent, my editor claims he was once almost kicked out of it for coughing. He’s probably exaggerating, but located at the end of Tuck Drive, Feldberg is a perfect atmosphere for those looking to avoid distractions.

“Tuck has Study Halls?”

Contrary to common belief, Tuck has a variety of small, peaceful study rooms that are rarely occupied by undergraduates. Among them, my favorite is this large room to the left of the main entrance —it’s quiet, spacious and feels like Hogwarts.

“The Executive Suite”

As I recently found out, there are a variety of empty conference rooms in Haldeman. When they’re not booked, their large windows provide natural light that make studying less depressing, particularly on these dark winter days.

“The Anti-Narp”

I bet you never considered Alumni Gym as a place to study, right? Well, this pair of comfortable chairs with a pool view just might change your mind.

Good luck with finals, Dartmouth!