Dartbeat Investigates: Fratdogs Instagram

By Casey Lewis | 4/28/14 7:00am

If you know me at all, you know that I love dogs. I love dogs — puppies, actually, no matter their age or size — more than I love humans a lot of the time. Whenever I walk across the Green with my friends and see a dog, I get tunnel vision and beeline toward the canine (the Casey-puppy interaction is similar to the puppy-squirrel interaction). I just adore their furry smiling faces and wagging tails.

Even though most of my friends only reluctantly indulge me, there is a new mobile phenomenon that has recently been feeding my obsession: the “fratdogs” Instagram account. Six weeks ago, a friend at another university texted me, “Who is Frat Dogs of Dartmouth and why are they following me on Instagram…?” I was aghast and indignant – how did I not know about this?!?! Seconds later, I remedied the situation and followed the account.

Now I excitedly check my Instagram feed every day in anticipation of pictures of Dartmouth doggies. The posts conspicuously feature black Labradors with red collars photographed in or around the Boom Boom Lodge most often. I contacted Teddy Reed ’13, the keeper of “fratdogs,” via email to learn more about his penchant for the furry, fratty mascots of his alma mater.

Dartbeat: What inspired you to start the Frat Dogs of Dartmouth Instagram account after you graduated?
TR: I was bored one day and decided the world needed to see black lab puppies on a regular basis. It's something so unique to Dartmouth, having these unbelievable, awesome dogs living in frat houses and having such interesting lives.

D: Did you stockpile pictures of frat dogs while you were at Dartmouth, or do you have sources still on campus who send you canine portraits? Is there a point at which you think you will run out of photos to post in the near future? (I hope not, I like the daily dose of TDX puppies)
TR: Yes, I stockpiled pictures, but I also have been sent a number of pictures via email/texts from people to help me out. I always need more pics though!

D: Would you say that black Labradors are more photogenic than other dog breeds?
TR:Black labs look great on camera. The TDX ones are some serious divas, so they enjoy dressing up and being in front of the camera.

D: Which dog is your personal favorite?
TR:I like Franklin T. Lodge '15 the best. He is wicked cute.

Reed also hopes that the Instagram account grows in popularity and is able to feature more photos from students all across campus.

“I want fratdogs to be everyone's and not make it tied to myself,” he said.

You can send photos of dogs on campus to fratdogs1@gmail.com. Hopefully, our frat culture will soon gain wide recognition for its adorable Labradors, Goldens, sheepdogs and dignified Roman leaders (I’m looking at you, Marcus Aurelius and Titus Andronicus).

The Labradors were not available for comment.

Casey Lewis