Around the Ivies

By Marie Plecha, The Dartmouth Staff | 3/27/14 7:30am

BROWN UNIVERSITY: Brown will expand its Undergraduate Teaching and Research Awards program for this summer, the Brown Daily Herald reported. The program, which grants stipends for research projects, will offer 50 additional awards and increase the stipend from $3,000 to $3,500. The expansion aligns with university president Christina Paxson’s recent push to offer students research opportunities.

COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY: Columbia’s celebration of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month began Tuesday night, the Columbia Spectator reported. The events planned for April include a mock Pakistani wedding and Chinese lantern festival.

CORNELL UNIVERSITY: Cornell saw low voter turnout in its Student Assembly elections this month, the Cornell Daily Sun reported. Though the elections committee hoped to see at least a 50 percent turnout, under 30 percent of the undergraduate population voted. Students speculated that the timing of Cornell’s February break and several uncontested races could have contributed to the low turnout.

HARVARD UNIVERSITY: The Harvard Art Museums are establishing a student advisory board to involve students more directly, the Harvard Crimson reported. The board will consist of both graduate and undergraduate students and will work to increase student participation in museum events and exhibits.

PRINCETON UNIVERSITY: Princeton has set up clinics to issue the meningitis B vaccine this week, the Daily Princetonian reported. Around 91 percent of the student population has already received the vaccine.

UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA: The University of Pennsylvania will launch the PennApps Fellows Internship Program this summer, the Daily Pennsylvanian reported. The program will enable 10 students to work at startup companies in Philadelphia to build the city’s reputation as an entrepreneurship hub. The program recently received an additional $25,000 grant, which will be used to help house interns.

YALE UNIVERSITY: Yale administrators are implementing cuts to its $39 million budget deficit, the Yale Daily News reported. The Provost’s Office has issued budget targets to the university’s 40 units, including Yale College and the graduate schools. Though half of the Ivy League saw deficits during the 2013 fiscal year, Yale’s was the highest.

Marie Plecha, The Dartmouth Staff