The Seven Kinds of People You Find at the Polar Bear Plunge

By Caela Murphy, The Dartmouth Staff | 2/6/14 3:00am

What kind of person would willingly give up sleeping in on a day when classes are cancelled to jump into freezing pond water? As it turns out, there are many students who do so every year. Here are a few of them:

1. Eager freshmen.

Probably the largest group at the event. It’s their first Carnival, and they’re not yet completely over the idea of being outside during a Hanover winter. As they move forward in line, they laugh and make plans with their floormates to do this together every winter. Upon hitting the water, each of them will immediately forego these plans.

2. Bucket-listing seniors.

Although most of them are probably wishing they had checked this one off while they were eager freshmen, they’ve got their eyes on the prize. Only a few yards of ridiculously, body-numbingly cold water separates them from eternal Dartmouth glory. Besides, after doing this in 10-degree weather, completing the Ledyard Challenge in the spring will be a piece of cake.

3. People still out from the night before.

If you’re out late enough, you might as well do the Lou’s Challenge, and if you’re still awake after that, you might as well hurl yourself into the icy depths of Occom Pond. Am I right? By now, these people are beyond rallying and fading fast, but since they’re still shrouded in the tattered remains of their liquor coats from the night before, they actually might be the most prepared group at the event.

4. Desperate souls coming off of an all-nighter.

These people are the victims of profs who don’t “get” Winter Carnival and have assigned papers or midterms that are due over the weekend. A quick jump in the pond will be a refreshing study break (and is quicker than walking back to the dorm to shower before returning to 1902 for the rest of the day).

5. People who have been working out all term.

Those long, cold walks to the gym for Zumba Toning are about to pay off. You can recognize these people by the confidence they exude as they strip down to next to nothing in preparation for the jump. They weren’t feeling quite bold enough to perform in the Lingerie Show, but they’re working it now and they know it.

6. People who bet on the Broncos.

Coming out of halftime down 22 points to zero, it seemed like Denver was primed for a comeback, and these people banked on it. Alas, it was not to be. They’re hating life right about now, but on the bright side, they’ve got a group of friends/Seattle fans there to cheer them on.

7. That one guy who got dragged along by his zealous friends and is SO not down for this.

“What exactly is the point of this tradition again?”

Caela Murphy, The Dartmouth Staff