Campus buzzes with Homecoming events

By Winnie Yoe, The Dartmouth Staff | 10/24/12 8:00am

Homecoming is fast approaching! With an overwhelming number of events happening on campus, it doesn’t hurt to have recommendations for event to attend — if only to quell your fear of missing out. My idea of fun may be different from yours, but here is a list of fun events that you shouldn’t miss.

Thursday:
Friday:
1. Visit the Baker Bell Tower if you have never been inside! Last entrance is at 5 p.m. You can also visit the Bell Tower on Saturday at 11:30 a.m.

2. The Bonfire at 8:30 p.m., duh!

Saturday:
1. More Tours:If you can wake up on time, there will be steam tunnel and power plant tours. The tours depart at 9:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. respectively, and they are limited to 30 participants per tour. This may be one of the only times of the year that you can legally and officially find out what is underground at Dartmouth.

Between 10 a.m and 12:30 p.m., the Barlett Tower above the Big Empty Meeting Area is also open for self-guided tours!

2. Sports:
Lots of exciting games are happening on Saturday, and all the home games will be played against Harvard University.

Women’s Field Hockey: 1:00 p.m. at Chase AstroTurf Field
Men’s Soccer 3:00 p.m. at Burnham Field
Football 5:00 p.m. at Memorial Stadium

If you have a car, you can also watch the equestrian team compete at the Dartmouth Riding Center at Morton Farm in Etna at 9 a.m.!

Many people will go to the football game, but for those who don’t really understand football (I know you do exist), the field hockey and soccer games are absolutely fun to watch! I personally love watching the field hockey games. The team has been doing very well this year — they currently hold second place in the Ivy League — so it will be an exciting game to watch!

Also, if you’re always hungry (like me), or you just generally enjoy free food and a joyful crowd, go to the tailgate at Alpha Delta fraternity. For alumni, there is a tailgate on the Alumni Gym lawn hosted by the Hill Winds Society.

3. Ingrid Michaelson concert! This is off-campus, for those of you looking for a break from the excitement. Doors open at 7:00 p.m. and the show starts 7:30 p.m. If you have purchased tickets, see you at Lebanon Opera House then!

4. For on-campus music spectacles, the Dartmouth Aires are hosting Fall Fling at 8:00 p.m. in Spaulding Auditorium. I don’t think I need to say why you should attend for this one.

Sunday:
You may be leaning towards just staying in bed, but you have one and only one mission of the day: Go to the Women’s Soccer game at 1:00 p.m., also against Harvard! The team is tied second with the University of Pennsylvania in the Ivy Leagues and ranked 23rd nationally.

All the varsity teams that played at Columbia University’s homecoming last weekend crushed Columbia. Watch them work their magic again at our Homecoming, you will not regret it!

If you decided sports and tours and parties aren’t for you and wished for a quieter, calmer Homecoming, there are some great movies and shows offered by the Hopkins Center for the Arts this weekend. The selection includes the showing of Otello, which will stream live from the Metropolitan Opera at the New Loew Auditorium in the Black Family Visual Arts Center. Or do your own thing! Try something new and tell us about it!

Have a wonderful and safe Homecoming!

Winnie Yoe, The Dartmouth Staff