The Look Ahead: Week 9

This weekend, Dartmouth community members can look forward to home games for women’s tennis, men’s hockey, women’s and men’s heavyweight rowing, men’s soccer and volleyball.

20220410 Sports Look Ahead.jpg

Friday, Nov. 4

Women’s tennis will compete in Hanover at the Big Green Invite, which will take place at the Boss Tennis Center. The Big Green competed at the Brown Classic last weekend. On Sunday, Oct. 23, Dartmouth pulled out the sole doubles win and won four out of five singles matches. Emily Zhou ’23 went undefeated at the Brown Classic.

The women’s hockey team will travel to Troy, N.Y. to play Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute at 6 p.m. The game can be viewed on ESPN+. The team is still looking for a win this season, after their most recent loss to Yale University 4-1 and Brown University 2-1 last weekend. 

Men’s hockey will face off against Yale at 7 p.m. in Thompson Arena. Dartmouth is still looking to secure its first ECAC win of the 2022 season, suffering losses to both Army West Point (8-3) and Harvard University (5-2) on the road last weekend. 

At 7 p.m. in Leede Arena, the volleyball team will compete against Cornell University. The team is currently 14-6, with six of those being Ivy League conference wins. The game can be viewed on ESPN+. 

Saturday, Nov. 5

Both women’s and men’s squash will debut the season at the Ivy Scrimmages held at Yale in New Haven, Conn. Earlier this season on Oct. 13, the teams welcomed Pam Anckermann as an assistant coach for this season. 

After a two-week rest since competing in the 57th Head of the Charles Regatta, women’s rowing and men’s heavyweight rowing are set to compete at their home stomping grounds in the Gardner Cup. The heavies’ A entry took fifth place out of 39 crews, and the women competing in the championship fours and championship eights placed 11th and 26th, respectively. 

Women’s tennis will compete in day two of the Big Green Invite at the Boss Tennis Center. 

Equestrian, whose record is currently 1-3, will travel to Fairfield, Conn. to compete against Sacred Heart University at 10:30 a.m. The Big Green were able to pull out its first win of the season against Bridgewater State University at Dartmouth’s Morton Farm on Oct. 29. 

The Big Green field hockey team will square up against the University of Pennsylvania at 11 a.m. on Chase Field. Field hockey hopes to avenge its loss after falling to Yale 2-1 last weekend. 

The men and women’s swimming and diving teams will travel to Princeton, N.J. to compete against Princeton University at noon. This will be each team’s debut meet of the 2022-2023 season. The women’s team will compete with seven new members while the men’s team has added ten freshmen to their roster. 

Big Green football will play no. 17 Princeton on the road at 1 p.m., which can be viewed on ESPN+. Currently this team’s sole Ivy League win comes from the Columbia game on Saturday, Oct. 22 with a score of 27-24, limiting Dartmouth’s quest to become Ivy League champions for the third year in a row. 

Cornell will host women’s soccer at 2 p.m.; viewers can stream the game on ESPN+. The team is currently 8-6-2 and has one win, four ties and one loss in the Ivy League. While the team fell to Harvard 2-1, Allie Winstanley ’23 bagged her eleventh goal of the season while Charlotte Cyr ’23 made eight saves as goalie. 

Men’s soccer is set to play at 5 p.m. against Brown on Burnham Field. The Big Green is 2-3 in the Ivy League; so far, Dartmouth has reigned victorious against both Columbia and Yale. 

Women’s hockey will finish out the weekend playing Union College in Schenectady, N.Y. at 3 p.m., which can be viewed on ESPN+. 

Men’s hockey will close out the week with a matchup against Brown at Thompson Arena at 5 p.m. 

Volleyball will play Columbia at Leede Arena at 5 p.m. This weekend’s games are essential for the team to capture a high ranking before going into playoffs. 

Sunday, Nov. 6

Women’s and men’s squash will compete in another day of Ivy Scrimmages in New Haven, Conn. 

The sailing team will compete in the first day of Women’s Singlehanded Nationals after a phenomenal finish to the 2022 fall regular season. The Big Green won the Victorian Urn Trophy last weekend at the NEISA Conference Championships for the first time since 2012.

Women’s tennis will close out day three of the Big Green Invite.

Monday Nov. 7

The women’s sailing team will compete in the second and final day of Women’s Singlehanded Nationals. 

Women’s basketball will compete in its winter season opener against Bryant University at home at 6 p.m. 

Men’s basketball will head to New York City to take on Fordham University at 7:30 p.m. to open its season. Dartmouth was seeded seventh in the Ivy League preseason poll.