Executive associate athletic director Brian Austin dies at 59

1.30.20.BrianAustin_courtesy.jpg

Austin died of cancer at age 59.

Brian Austin, the longtime executive associate director of athletics for varsity sports, died of cancer Monday evening. He was 59.

“An exceptionally talented administrator, [Austin] had a rare gift for relating to his colleagues, and was a tireless advocate for his coaches and for all of Dartmouth’s student-athletes,” wrote College President Phil Hanlon in an email to the Dartmouth community. 

In his nearly two decades at Dartmouth, Austin oversaw the daily operations of the College’s 35 varsity teams and had direct oversight over nine of them, including baseball, field hockey and men’s basketball. Austin arrived at the College in 2002, when he was named the senior associate director of athletics. In 2008, Austin was promoted to his most recent position.

Austin began his career in athletics after graduating from Amherst College in 1984, working as a baseball coach at his alma mater and the University of Massachusetts until 1986. After spending a year at Syracuse University as an administrative intern, he then spent nine years at Cornell University and six years at Translyvania University in administrative capacities.

“To Brian, the best life was not one completely wrapped up in the athletics department — or for that matter, in any department,” Hanlon wrote. “The best life was a well-rounded one, with family at the center, and he wanted that for all those with whom he worked.”

Austin is survived by his wife Bev, as well as his two daughters, Sarah and Kristina.

A full obituary will be published in the near future. If you would like to share a memory, please contact editor@thedartmouth.com.