Editors' Note

Spring in New England means that melting ice is on everyone’s mind, with freezing rain, muddy walkways and a pervasive grayness in the air characterizing our day-to-day existence. At Dartmouth, breaking the ice is not just a mindset but a lifestyle, as we are pushed nearly every day to meet new people and build strong relationships.

While being extroverted is often seen as a unifying commonality at our school, this week the Mirror acknowledges and celebrates the less publicized ways that students and professors break the ice. We explore high school orientation programs that bring low-income and minority students to campus, profile a Dartmouth-led trip to Antarctica, examine the ways female campus organizations break the glass ceiling and acknowledge the inevitability of failure. We find that breaking the ice, while challenging, can make waves in unexpected and powerful ways. And perhaps most inspiring of all is the fearlessness of the individuals who do the breaking. 

As we transition from winter to spring, we have to remember that sunshine, far away as it may seem, is just around the corner, and with sunshine comes the warmth that begins to break the ice. Sending you all the warmth and positive energy as we tackle week four.