The Weekend Roundup: Week 1

Women's Rugby

On Sept. 15, the Big Green dismantled No. 9 Brown University 98-7 in its home opener. This marked Dartmouth’s second highest score ever, only behind its 110-0 win over Columbia University in 2016. While Emily Henrich ’22 led the team with three tries and six conversions for 27 points, the team’s overall offensive attack was balanced, with nine different members all scoring 14 tires. The team led Brown 64-0 by the end of the first half, and only continued the onslaught in the second half for a final score of 98-7. With the win, the Big Green improves to 3-0 and 1-0 in Ivy League play, and will host No. 2 Harvard University next Saturday.

Women's Volleyball

This past week, the Dartmouth volleyball team competed in the Hofstra Asics Invitational and the Battle of the Big Apple for a total of four games over 26 hours. At the competition hosted by Hofstra University in Hempstead, NY, the team went 1-1, defeating Seton Hall University 3-0 (25-19, 25-22, 25-23) but falling to Hofstra 1-3 (25-20, 20-25, 19-25, 23-25). In the victory against Seton Hall, Nicole Liddle ’22 led the team’s offensive charge with a career-high 21 kills, five digs and 21 points. The Pirates rebounded after losing the first set 25-19 to take an early 8-1 lead in the second set, but the Big Green survived the initial onslaught to win the game 25-22. The Big Green performed well in the clutch again in the third set to win 25-23 and secure the victory. In the second game against Hofstra, Olympia Nagel-Caland ’21 recorded a team-high 14.5 points along with 13 kills and three blocks, while Liddle repeated her earlier dominant performance with 13 kills and five digs. Annemarie Horn ’22 secured a team-high 19 assists to round out the team’s offense. Although the Big Green won the first set, they were unable to carry the same momentum into the following matches, losing the match 3-1.

In the Battle of the Big Apple, the team split their two matches again, defeating St. Francis of Brooklyn 3-0 (25-16, 25-16, 25-19) but losing to Fordham University 1-3 (25-27, 21-25, 25-20, 20-25). Although the Terrier took early leads in both the first and second set of the match, the Big Green rebounded in both to pull away near the end. Outside of the fast starts by St. Francis, Dartmouth was in control the majority of the match, with four players hitting over .500. The victory marked head coach Gilad Doron’s 200th career win. Against Fordham, Liddle led the team with 18 points through her double-double of 17 kills and 13 digs. Although the Big Green had a golden opportunity to take the first set after securing a 24-21 lead, the Ram went on a 6-1 run to steal the set away. Another big run, this time 8-2 after the teams were tied at 16 apiece in the second set, clinched the second set for Fordham as well. Although Dartmouth took the third set 25-20, the Ram led throughout the match in the final set and held on to take the victory.

Following the results of the two invitationals, the volleyball team is now 4-6 overall this season. The team will open Ivy League play by hosting Harvard University next Friday.

Women's Tennis

The first weekend of the fall quarter was action-packed for Dartmouth women’s tennis as they hosted Ivy League rival Harvard University in the two-day Dartmouth Shootout. The Big Green were supposed to head south to open their season at the William & Mary Hall of Fame Classic, but inclement weather forced the attending teams to cancel the tournament.

Dartmouth had a tough season-opener Friday evening, dropping all six of their matches. They fought hard and barely lost several matches, highlighted by an 8-7(4) defeat in a doubles tiebreaker in which Jenna Friedel and Irene Lu of Harvard edged out Madison Hwang ’21 and Nicole Conard ’22. Abigail Chiu ’21 and Jingyi Peng ’22 cruised in their first sets, winning 6-4 and 6-2 respectively, but their opponents bounced back to snag the second set. Chiu fell 8-10 in the super tiebreaker while Peng lost 6-10. Chuyang Guan ‘20 and Nina Paripovic ‘22 lost in straight sets,with the latter narrowly losing 5-7 in her first set. The duo of Jasmine Abidi ’21and Guan took a 4-8 defeat in their doubles match.

Day two bore better results for the Big Green, who picked up victories in two of three singles matches. Abidi took straight 6-4 sets over Natasha Gonzalez, and Conard won her first match at Dartmouth by winning her first set 6-3 before the match was cut short at 2-3 in the second set. Hwang had a tough matchup in Rachel Eason, losing 1-6, 2-6. Doubles play was a challenge for the Big Green again Saturday as Chiu and Peng fell 5-8 and Conard and Paripovic lost 3-8.

Yale University’s Bulldog Invitational awaits Dartmouth women’s tennis, who will travel to New Haven in two weeks to wrap up the month.

Sailing

On Sept. 15 and 16, the sailing team competed in three tournaments: Regis Women’s Trophy, Hatch Brown Memorial Trophy and the Nicholas Barnett Trophy. The team had a fantastic weekend, securing first place in two of the three competitions. In the Regis Trophy at Boston University, the team took first out of 16 teams with 36 points, with A recording 24 and B scoring 12. In the Hatch Brown Trophy, Dartmouth secured first out of 17 total teams. A and B both scored 7 while C scored 5 for a total of 19 points. In the Barnett Trophy hosted by Bowdoin University, the Big Green finished with 118 points to secure 10th place out of 17 competing teams.

Field Hockey

The Dartmouth women’s field hockey team went up against Sacred Heart University in a hard fought game in Hanover on Thursday afternoon, falling in a close 3-2 defeat. In the first half, Sacred Heart’s Colleen McAninley struck first in the 17th minute, but was matched within a minute and a half by a goal from Carmen Braceras ’20. This back and forth continued into the second 35 minutes, where Marlena Koellner found a point within the first three minutes and was met in kind with a goal from Katie Spanos ’20 in the 43rd minute. The Big Green were unable to respond to the third Sacred Heart goal in the 54th minute and were forced to come away empty-handed.

The Big Green bounced back on Sunday afternoon against Holy Cross with a 5-2 win. The key statistic of the game was the disparity between goals on target: Dartmouth had a total of 28, compared to only eight for Holy Cross. The team jumped to a 3-2 lead in the first half, and scored two more goals in the second half while shutting out its opponent to clinch the victory.

The team will play its Ivy League opener next Saturday against Princeton University.

Women's Soccer

The Dartmouth women’s soccer team took on University of New Hampshire away on Thursday, earning a 2-1 victory against the Wildcats after two periods of overtime. Against UNH, a score by Remy Borinsky ’19 just before the half put the Big Green in front, before a response goal in the 82nd minute to tie the game. This tie forced the game into extra time, where the teams appeared evenly matched until a goal by Charlotte Esty ’20 in the 103rd minute brought things to a fold for Dartmouth.

The team followed up Thursday’s victory with another win on Sunday, defeating the University of Albany 3-2. With the score tied at 2-2, Tracey Mills ’22 broke the tie with the game winner in the 73rd minute.

The Big Green will begin Ivy play next Saturday with a home game against Brown University.

Men's Soccer

The Dartmouth men’s soccer team played against Boston University and the University of New Hampshire at home this past week, finishing with ties against both. On Tuesday, the Big Green finished 2-2 against the Terriers, despite two additional overtime periods. Dartmouth started off strong, with two goals from Tiger Graham ’21 before the half, but were met by a goal from BU’s Matt McDonnell in the second. An unfortunate own goal from the Big Green in the last 10 minutes of the match forced the overtimes, and neither team was able to capitalize on offense during the extra time.

The Saturday matchup against the Wildcats was a scoreless affair. Neither team able to find the back of the net over regular time and two overtimes, despite 14 shots on the part of the Big Green. Now 0-3-2, the team will look to find a win this upcoming week in away matches at Hofstra on Tuesday and at the University of Massachusetts Amherst on Saturday.

Football

The Dartmouth football team began their season with resounding success Saturday afternoon, dismantling the Georgetown University Hoyas 41-0 in the first home opening shutout for the Big Green since 1976. Derek Kyler ’21 went 15-21 in his debut for the varsity side, passing for 177 total yards and a touchdown along with a running touchdown. The running game was the source of much of the Big Green’s success on the day, with Rashaad Cooper ’19 accounting for 112 yards and one touchdown on 16 carries and Miles Smith ’19 contributing 51 yards and one touchdown on 11 carries. Caylin Parker ’20 added the remaining touchdown on the ground in the fourth quarter. The receiving game for the Big Green was led by Drew Hunnicutt ’19, with 102 yards on four passes, including one touchdown. The defense was an equally important part of the Dartmouth success, holding the Georgetown offense to only 112 total yards and forcing four turnovers off the Hoyas over the course of the game. The Big Green will look to continue their success this upcoming weekend against Holy Cross.