The Weekday Roundup: Week 3

Hockey

Last weekend, men’s hockey had two important home games against Quinnipiac University and Princeton University. The Big Green defeated Quinnipiac 4-3 but lost to Princeton 6-3. It was a disappointing end but an improvement from the Big Green’s 9-2 loss to the Tigers on Dec 1. 

Last Friday, Dartmouth and Quinnipiac were tied 2-2 after the first period and 3-3 after the second. With less than 10 seconds left to play in the third period, Will Graber ’20 scored the go-ahead goal to lift the Big Green to victory.

Dartmouth looked for a third-straight win on Saturday against Princeton in front of a packed stadium. Matt Baker ’21 extended the tradition of a first-year scoring the first goal of the Princeton home game, getting the puck past the Tigers’ Ryan Ferland eight minutes into the first period and sending hundreds of tennis balls flying onto the rink. A first-year has scored the first goal of the Princeton home game in the past five years. However, the Tigers responded quickly and by the end of the first period, the score was tied at 2-2. In the second period, Princeton scored twice to take a 4-2 lead. The Tigers scored two more times in the last period, though Tim Shoup ’18 scored one last goal for Dartmouth with less than two minutes left to end the game as a 6-3 loss for the Big Green.

Women’s ice hockey traveled to New York last weekend to face off against No. 6 Cornell University and No. 4 Colgate University, losing 2-0 and 4-1, respectively.

The first period of the game against the Big Red on Jan. 12 ended in a scoreless tie, before Cornell’s Maddie Mills scored a goal in the second and her teammate Kristin O’Neill added another goal in the third frame to cement the team’s victory over the Big Green. Christine Honor ’19 made a total of 29 saves for Dartmouth.

The next day, the Big Green faced Colgate in its fourth consecutive away game. Colgate scored twice in the first period, once in the second and once in the last period to take a 4-0 lead over Dartmouth. Alyssa Baker ’19 scored the only goal of the game for the Big Green with just over a minute left in the game. Honor had another busy day in net, tallying 32 saves.

Dartmouth returns to action this weekend at home with a game against No. 10 St. Lawrence University tonight at 6 p.m. before facing No. 2 Clarkson University tomorrow. 

Men's Basketball

Coming into the game against the University of Vermont on Jan. 10, the men’s basketball team was 3-1 at home and looking to break a two-game losing streak. Unfortunately, the Catamounts outshot the Big Green in the first half 43-30, which eventually propelled Vermont to a 91-78 victory. Guard Taylor Johnson ’18 led the team with 17 points, while Brendan Barry ’20, Will Emery ’20 and Chris Knight ’21 each contributed a respectable double digits. Although walking away with a loss, it was the Big Green’s eighth-best shooting performance, in terms of field goal percentage, of the past 21 seasons.

A few days later, the men’s basketball team met Boston College away, wrapping up the Big Green’s non-conference play for the regular season. Prior to last Saturday’s game, the Eagles won 21 of the 29 meetings with the Big Green, and this year was no exception as the Eagles were again victorious with a 86-72 win. Ian Sistare ’20 led the team with 14 points, while Aaryn Rai ’21 added 11. Dartmouth has had four players record double figures in a single game five times this season but all resulted in losses. Hoping to avenge its 61-51 loss on Jan. 6, the Big Green will face Harvard University at home this Saturday at 7 p.m.

Track & Field

The men’s and women’s track and field teams took home first at last weekend’s meet against Brown University, the University of Maine and the University of Vermont. While the women posted 175 points to best second-place finisher Brown (120), the men’s edition came down to the final event. 

As the men took the line for the 4x400-meter relay, Maine had 128 points to Dartmouth’s 121. But when the relay team of Amos Cariati ’18, Alec Eschholz ’19, Max Frye ’21 and Parker Johnson ’19 took home the event win and teams from Vermont and Brown failed to finish, the Big Green edged out an overall meet win, 130 to Maine’s 128.

Earlier in the meet, Donovan Spearman ’21 won the 60-meter dash in 6.82 seconds, the second fastest time in Dartmouth history. The Big Green swept the top five spots in the 60-meter hurdles with Eschholz winning in 8.27 seconds, followed by Shawn Ohazuruike ’20, Johnson, Frye and Matthew Sindelar ’18. The Big Green did not win the 200-meter run but took the next five spots with MJ Freeman ’21 and Adam Couitt ’18 leading the way in second and third. On the field, Ethan Ruh ’20 won the shot put with a distance of 15.42 meters (50-07.25 feet).

On the women’s side, Dartmouth dominated the pole vault as Julia Valenti ’20 topped 3.85 meters and Big Green vaulters took the next four spots. Cha’Mia Rothwell ’20 just edged out Brown’s Zion Lewis in the 60-meter dash, finishing in 7.47 seconds to win by one hundredth of a second. Her 5.91-meter long jump was also good enough to win the event. Dartmouth runners also finished first in the 60-meter hurdles, 400-meter, 1,000-meter and 3,000-meter runs. Inside the track, Folasade Akinfe ’20 took second in the triple jump and Amelia Ali ’19 was second in the weight throw.