Burglary reported at sorority house, per campus-wide alert

UPDATED: May 25, 2017 at 11:55 a.m.

On May 24 at around 7:50 p.m., Safety and Security responded to a report of a possible burglary, according to a campus-wide Safety and Security alert sent Wednesday night. An obscene message threatening sexual violence was left at a sorority house, interim Safety and Security director Keysi Montas wrote in the email. Multiple sources confirmed that the incident occurred at Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority.

Safety and Security and Hanover Police are investigating the incident. Safety and Security officers are also providing extra patrols around the area and across campus.

The alert asked anyone with information about the incident to contact Safety and Security at (603) 646-6000 or Hanover Police at (603) 643-2222.

The alert advised recipients to be aware of their surroundings, be wary of strangers asking for directions, seek assistance if followed by someone and report any suspicious activity immediately.

Dean of the College Rebecca Biron and Provost Carolyn Dever sent a campus-wide email Thursday morning that stated that the behavior and threatening language reported in the incident "have no place in our community." Staff from Student Affairs have reached out to KDE, Greek leadership, undergraduate advisors and other affected students, according to the email. The email also advised students in need of support to reach out to counseling staff, undergraduate deans and College chaplains.

Montas declined to comment, as the investigation is ongoing. Hanover Police Chief Charlie Dennis could not be reached for comment by press time.