Trump wins United States presidency

Alumni across the country run for positions down the ballot

As the election cycle draws to a close, students watch anxiously in One Wheelock.

UPDATED: Nov. 9, 2016 at 4:58 p.m.

Last night, Donald Trump won the United States presidential election against Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton. Current New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan defeated Republican incumbent Kelly Ayotte in a close Senate race, according to New Hampshire Secretary of State William Gardner.

Clinton received 6,561 votes from voters in Hanover to get 84.9 percent, while Trump received 926 at 12 percent. Hassan beat Ayotte by 1,023 votes, Gardner said.

Besides the presidential and senate election, several Dartmouth alumni ran for positions further down the ballot.

Two Dartmouth alumni engaged in close races here in New Hampshire. U.S. Rep. Ann Kuster ’78 won reelection in the 2nd congressional district, defeating opponent Republican Jim Lawrence. Kuster is the first representative from her district to win three consecutive terms.

Chris Sununu defeated Colin Van Ostern Tu’09 in the gubernatorial election with 49 percent of the vote.

In Ohio, U.S. Republican Sen. Rob Portman ’78 won reelection for a second term in the Senate, defeating former Gov. Ted Strickland.

Republican U.S. Sen. John Hoeven ’79 from North Dakota won reelection for a second term in the Senate, defeating Democratic challenger Eliot Glassheim.

In New York, Wendy Long ’92, a Republican, lost in her attempt to defeat incumbent Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer.

In Delaware, current Democratic U.S. Rep. John Carney ’78 won his bid to become the next Governor of that state, defeating Republican opponent Colin Bonini. The incumbent governor, Jack Markell, is leaving office after reaching his term limit.

Incumbent U.S. Rep. Mike Capuano ’73 won reelection in Massachusetts, having faced no opponents in the 7th congressional district.

In West Virginia’s 2nd congressional district, Republican incumbent U.S. Rep. Alex Mooney ’93 won reelection for a second term, defeating Democratic challenger Mark Hunt.