The Weekend Roundup: Week Two

Women's volleyball

In Friday’s Ivy League opener, the women’s volleyball team fell to Harvard University in three sets (25-27, 16-25, 23-25), which dropped the Big Green to 6-5 and 0-1 in conference play. Dartmouth led the first set, 6-0; however, halfway through the set, Harvard, with a five point run, tied the game at 17-17. The set went back and forth, with five more ties, before Dartmouth took the lead at 25-24 following a kill by Emily Astarita ’17. Nevertheless, the Crimson bounced back with three consecutive points to clinch the first set 27-25.

During the second set, the Crimson took an early lead to which the Big Green quickly answered. Both teams stayed neck and neck, until point ten when Harvard pulled ahead by four. While the Big Green tried to close the gap, the Crimson held strong, finishing the set easily 25-16. In the third set, Dartmouth started off strong leading 6-2, which Harvard quickly matched by tying the game at 8-8.

With consistent ties and runs on both sides, the game was tied again at 21 each. While the Big Green put themselves in a position to take the set after a crucial kill by Abby Kott ’20, the Crimson did not ease up ultimately took the third set 25-23 to win the match.

Sara Lindquist ’18 led Dartmouth with an impressive 12 kills, five digs, and two block assists, while Corinne Cox ’20 and Sierra Lyle ’19 pitched in 15 assists and 10 digs respectively. The Big Green will be on the road this upcoming weekend where they are scheduled to play the University of Pennsylvania on Saturday and Princeton University on Sunday.

Women's soccer

The Dartmouth women’s soccer team played an excellent game against Vermont to improve to 6-2-0. The first half of the match was definitely one that showed that the team was evenly matched with the Catamounts when several shots were taken on goal from both sides.

However, the women stepped it up in the second half when Meredith Gurnee ’17 took a bold shot from the outside box to take the lead at 55 minutes.

The exceptional goal gave the Big Green a surge of momentum that propelled helped them hold on for a 1-0 victory. Yesterday, the women lost, 1-0, against Brown University, putting itself at 0-1 in Ivy League play and 6-3-0 overall. Casey Cousineau ’17 made three saves, and Dartmouth outshot Brown, 12-4.

Women's golf

In their 2016-2017 season debut this Saturday and Sunday, the women’s golf team hosted the Dartmouth Invitational at the Hanover Country Club. After the first round, the Big Green sat in second place of 15 teams with a round of 13-over and 301 points. The only team that was ahead of the Big Green after the first day was Boston College, which finished the first day at five-under.

The Big Green was led by Catherine Roddy ’19 who sat on the leaderboard at fifth place with a score of one-over 73. Julia Calbi ’19 was tied for seventh place, and Maddie Nelson ’20, ended the first day at two-over. Dartmouth also entered a B team to compete, which, after round one, finished fifth with a score of 309 and 21-over. The second round and final results were not available as of press time. This weekend, the Big Green will travel to Princeton, New Jersey to compete in the Princeton Invitational.

Football

In their first away game of the season, the Big Green defeated Holy Cross, 35-10, which boosts the team to 2-0 overall. Saturday’s meeting also raises the Big Green to 38-37-4 in an all-time series record with Holy Cross. Down 0-7 in the first few minutes of the game, the Big Green responded quickly with two touchdowns to close out the first quarter. From there Dartmouth held a comfortable lead throughout the entire game, accumulating an impressive 208 yards on 44 carries. Miles Smith ’19 led the running game with 71 yards on eight carries - the first resulting in a 35-yard touchdown during the first quarter. Darius George ’17 also proved to be vital in the scoring game, forcing a fumble that set up Dartmouth’s first touchdown, and then recovering another fumble in the end zone during the second quarter.

The defense also proved a dominating force by holding Holy Cross to 285 yards while also collecting four turnovers. Folarin Orimolade ’17, a linebacker on the team, picked up the Johnny Turco Award as the MVP of the game as he lead the Big Green with eight tackles — two of which were sacks and two more for a loss. Dartmouth returns to Memorial Field Friday to host University of Pennsylvania (0-2 overall). The game marks the 2016 Ivy League opener for both teams.

Women's field hockey

The field hockey team beat Sacred Heart University with a win of 3-0 last Sunday. The women played two very aggressive halves against the Pioneers and successfully hammered in three outstanding goals.

Captain Morgan Philie ’18 began the second half with a skillful dribble to Sacred Heart’s goal and buried the ball in the back of the net. Evie Bird ’19 and Carmen Braceras ’20 also successfully maneuvered past the Sacred Heart defense to add two goals to the lead and end the match with an impressive victory.

However, the women were unable to carry the momentum from that victory into Saturday’s match-up against No. 13 Princeton University, which they dropped by a score of 4-0. The Big Green is now 3-4 overall and 0-1 in Ivy League play.

This upcoming weekend, the women will host Brown University in its second contest of conference play. The game is scheduled to start at 12 p.m. on Saturday.

Women's rugby

Following its win last weekend against Brown University, the Big Green defeated Columbia University, 110-0 this past Saturday at Brophy Field. The shutout victory puts Dartmouth up, 2-0, in conference play, while the Lions are now 0-2 overall and 0-2 in the Ivy League.

The Big Green carried a 43-0 lead into the locker room at halftime, before tacking on 67 second-half points by the match’s end. The margin is impressive, considering last year, the Big Green defeated the Lions by a margin of 87 points. Two hours after playing Columbia, the rugby team participated in a development match against the University of New England. This weekend, the team will host Harvard University on Saturday at Brophy Field . The game will start at 2 p.m. and will serve as an opportunity for alumnae to return to Hanover and cheer on the Big Green in its biggest Ivy match of the season.

Men's soccer

The men’s soccer team played a pair of games as they sought to build on a 1-1-3 record going into the week. The tean suffered a setback with a loss to Hartford by a score of 1-0 on Wednesday. The Big Green registered 10 shots on goal to Hartford’s five but were unable to get the ball past goalkeeper Jimmy Slayton. On Saturday, the team looked to recover from their midweek defeat in its game against the University of Vermont in Burlington.

Jonathan Nierenberg ’18 opened the scoring in the 28th minute off a pass from co-captain Emmanuel Arteaga ’17, but Catamount forward Brooke Jenkins was able to answer midway through the second half. Neither team could find the back of the net in overtime, and the game ended in a 1-1 draw. During the course of the twenty-minute double overtime period, three yellow cards were issued — two for Vermont and one for Dartmouth. The Big Green’s record at the end of week two is 1-2-4 overall and will resume play in its Ivy Opener on Oct. 1 against Princeton University.

Men's tennis

This weekend the tennis team took on many of its familiar rivals in the Ivy-Plus Invitational. The Big Green won five of its eight matches on day one. Eddie Grabill ’19 earned an impressive victory against Rohan Sikkha of Cornell University (6-3, 6-3), and fellow sophomore Joey Haig ’19 defeated Samuel Beren of Harvard University (6-4, 7-6).

Charlie Broom ’20 began his collegiate career with a win over Harvard’s Matt Galush (6-3, 6-4). Broom continued his hot streak on day two, first knocking off Princeton University’s Payton Holden and then teaming up with Haig to take down a doubles duo from Penn State University.

Max Schmidt ’17 paired up with David Horneffer ’20 while Max Fliegner ’18 played with Roko Glasnovic ’19. Both lost in the first round but made a quick comeback to win the second round matches against University of Tennessee and Penn State.

Broom and Haig successfully defeated Penn State in the first round of doubles (8-4) but fell short against Princeton in the second rounds. Broom capped off the Big Green’s exceptional tournament by winning all four of his singles matches. The men will look to build upon their success next weekend when they play and host the Dartmouth Invitational from Oct. 7 to 9 in the Boss Tennis Center.

Men's golf

This past Saturday and Sunday, the men’s golf team hosted the third annual Quechee Club Collegiate Challenge, its only home tournament of the fall. The men finished seventh overall at 23-over with a total of 599 points. After first round play, the Big Green stood in ninth place at 12-over par with a score of 300. Ian Kelsey ’18 led Dartmouth in individual play, tying for fifth place with a two-under 70. A second Dartmouth team also competed, finishing the day in 14th place with 317 points with Reed Russ ’19 leading the group with a three-over 73. After the second and final round of play, Dartmouth moved up two places, only 21 points behind the leader, Rhode Island. On Sunday, John Lazoe ’19 led the Big Green and finished in 13th place and 2-over par. This upcoming weekend, the menwill travel to New Haven, Connecticut to compete in the Macdonald Cup hosted by Yale University.