The Weekday Roundup: Week 5

Baseball

Dartmouth baseball defeated Siena College 5-3 on Wednesday afternoon on Red Rolfe Field at Biondi Park to complete its nonconference schedule. The Big Green is 15-23 overall, 8-8 in Ivy League play.

The Siena Saints took a 1-0 in the first inning off a RBI double to lead 1-0. In the third inning, Dustin Shirley ’18 hit a sac fly, Thomas Roulis ’15 hit a double and Joe Purritano ’16 lined a single to finish the three-run inning for the Big Green.

In the fifth, the Saints were able to grab a run back to trail Dartmouth 3-2, but in the sixth, Justin Fowler ’18 was able to score off an error in an outfield catch.

The Big Green and the Saints each earned a single run in the seventh inning leave the Big Green leading 5-3. Jackson Bubala ’17 recorded his first save.

Each team had seven hits in the game. The Big Green pitching was led by Jack Fossand ’18, Sam Fichthorn ’18 and Marc Bachman ’18 to limit the Saints to three runs in the first seven innings.

This weekend, the Big Green face Harvard University in a Saturday/Sunday doubleheader while chasing the Yale University Bulldogs in the race for the Red Rolfe Division. The Big Green is at Harvard on Saturday with games on ESPN3 and the Ivy League Digital Network. Senior Day is Sunday in Hanover.

Men’s Lacrosse

Men’s lacrosse concluded the season on a low note on Wednesday afternoon with a 16-3 loss to No. 2 Brown University. The rout was the Big Green’s second largest of 2016, leaving Dartmouth 1-13 overall and winless in the Ivy League. With the win, Brown clinched its 10th Ivy League crown.

The Big Green managed to keep the game close in the first quarter, which ended with Brown up 3-1. Jack Korzelius ’18 scored the lone Big Green tally of the quarter, a man-up goal with an assist from KC Beard ’16. After Korzelius’ score, however, Dartmouth was shut out until only 6 minutes 30 seconds remained in the game. Brown took the game firmly in hand, notching two goals in the second quarter and nine in the third. In the waning minutes of the fourth quarter, Richie Loftus ’18 and Cameron Nolting ’19 added two more for the Big Green, but Brown came away with the 16-3 victory.

Brown took 48 shots at goalies Joe Balaban ’19, Blair Friedensohn ’16 and Ty Vandenberg ’18.