The Roundup: Week 5

Women’s lacrosse gave Brown University its first Ivy win this past weekend.

Equestrian

Dartmouth outrode Columbia University, Cornell University, Brown University, Princeton University and Yale University to win the Ivy League Championship at Morton Farm on Saturday.

The top two riders of the show both rode for the Big Green. Cristiana Salvatori ’17 won both her Novice Flat and Fences classes and finished as the Individual High Point Rider of the show. Meanwhile, Olivia Champ ’19 was Reserve High Point Rider after winning Open Flat and placing second in Open Fences. Lindsay Seewald ’16, who also took fifth in Open Flat, beat out Champ to win Open Fences.

The day was filled with similar stories for Dartmouth. Other class winners included Charlotte Johnstone ’17 in Walk Trot, Sophie King ’19 in Advanced Walk Trot Canter, Meg Rauner ’17 and Storey Dyer Kloman ’17 in Novice Flat, Erin McCarthy-Keeler ’19 and Claire Bick ’18 in Novice Fences and Staci Mannella ’18 in Intermediate Fences. Dartmouth also had several runners-up: Seewald in the Intermediate Fences Championship, Salvatori in the Novice Flat Championship, Johnstone in the Walk Trot Canter Championship, King in the Walk Trot Canter Championship, Champ in Open Fences, David Cordero ’16 in Beginner Walk Trot Canter, Rauner in Novice Fences, McCarthy-Keeler in both Novice Flat and Novice Fences Championship and Bick and Catherine Conway ’17 in Intermediate Flat.

Women’s Track and Field

The women were split up to compete at two non-scoring meets this weekend, with some attending the University of Virginia’s Virginia Challenge and others going to Princeton University’s Larry Ellis Invitational.

In Charlottesville, Virginia, Dartmouth athletes competed against individuals from 48 other schools, managing six top-10 finishes. Jennifer Meech ’16 shined in two events, taking eighth in the 200-meter and 10th in the 400. Dana Giordano ’16 was seventh in the 1500, crossing in 4 minutes 20.53 seconds. The 4x400 relay team also showed well and finished sixth. Dartmouth high jumpers put in a good day of work: Allison Frantz ’18 placed third in the high jump with 1.66 meters, while Kaitlin Whitehorn ’16’s 1.76 leap was good for sixth in the high jump invite.

Competition at Princeton included all of the Ancient Eight but Harvard University. Dartmouth received top-10 finishes from Reid Watson ’16 (10th in the 5000), Abby Feeney ’17 (10th in the 100-meter hurdles), Kathleen Sprout ’17 (ninth in the 400 hurdles), Stephanie Brown ’16 (eighth in the pole vault) and Moriah Morton ’17 (ninth in the javelin).

Men’s Track and Field

Men’s track and field split this weekend between Charlottesville, Virginia and Princeton, New Jersey. Dartmouth athletes turned out several top-10 performances at the Virginia Challenge. On the field, Nico Robinson ’17 had a seventh place showing in the long jump. Corey Muggler ’17 also performed well, taking ninth in the triple jump invite and fifth in the long jump invite. Jacob Shippee ’16’s 61.78-meter throw was good for fourth in the javelin. Dartmouth hurdlers excelled, with Parker Johnson ’19 taking seventh in the 110-meter and 400 hurdles, and Alec Eschholz ’19 and Edward Wagner ’16 finishing in the top 10 of the 400.

Dartmouth throwers found success on the Princeton field. Colin Minor ’18 placed sixth in the hammer throw and 10th in the shot put, while Lucas Ribeiro ’19 was eighth in the discus. Elsewhere, Alex Frye ’17 leapt to eighth in the high jump (2.00 meters) and Tim Gorman ’16 crossed in 10th in the 1500. The Big Green’s Daniel Salas ’17 ran 14 minutes 19.41 seconds and Peter Geithner ’16 ran 14:26.09 for fifth and ninth in the 5000.

Women’s Tennis

No. 49 women’s tennis (13-6) wrapped up its regular season at home on Saturday with a 5-2 win over No. 59 Harvard University.

Dartmouth grabbed the doubles point on wins by Katherine Yau ’16 and Julia Schroeder ’18 and Jacqueline Crawford ’17 and Lexxi Kiven ’18. Schroeder and Taylor Ng ’17 then posted dominating straight-set singles match victories at No. 5 and No. 1 to put the Big Green up 3-0. Harvard won at No. 6, but Kristina Mathis ’18’s 7-5, 6-4 sealed the Dartmouth win. For the icing on the cake, Yau surged back from a first-set loss to win the final Ivy match of her career. Dartmouth finishes the season 4-3 in the Ivy League, good enough for second place behind Princeton University.

Men’s Tennis

No. 38 men’s tennis (18-8) finished the 2016 season in style on Saturday, extending its Ivy win streak to six in a 4-1 defeat of No. 49 Harvard University before many Big Green fans in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Dovydas Sakinis ’16 and Max Fliegner ’18 won 6-0 in the No. 3 position, while Max Schmidt ’17 and Roko Glasnovic ’19 dispatched their Harvard duo 6-3 to give Dartmouth the first point. Harvard stole the first singles match at the No. 5 spot but that would be its only win of the day. Dartmouth enjoyed victories from No. 85 Sakinis at the No. 1 position, Eddie Grabill ’19 at No. 6, and then the clincher, a 6-4, 6-1 win from George Wall ’17 at No. 4. The Big Green conclude conference play second in the Ivy League, behind the winner Columbia University.

Women’s Rugby

Dartmouth fielded two squads at the Ivy Sevens Championship, hosted by Princeton University on Saturday.

The Big Green’s A-side opened with back-to-back shutout wins, prevailing 28-0 over the University of Pennsylvania and 47-0 against Columbia University. Dartmouth topped its pool with a 17-5 victory over Princeton, putting the team through to the semifinal, where it saw the losing end of a 17-5 split against Brown University. Camille Johnson ’19, Ashley Zepeda ’18 and Kat Ramage ’19 all went down in the game against Brown and did not play for the rest of the tournament. In the cup consolation match, Princeton this time got the better of Dartmouth by a score of 15-10.

Dartmouth’s second team enjoyed more success. The B-side won its pool with victories over Princeton-B and Brown-B and then prevailed in the final, a rematch against Brown.

Next week, Dartmouth will play in another leg of the Varsity Sevens series at the United States Military Academy.

Men’s Lacrosse

The Dartmouth men’s lacrosse team fell on Senior Day in its last Ivy League home game against the University of Pennsylvania 11-4 at Scully-Fahey Field. Dartmouth drops to 1-12 and 0-5 in Ivy League play while the Quakers improve to 8-5 and 4-2 in Ivy League play.

The Big Green was able to hold Penn to a relatively close first half only trailing 4-2. Jack Korzelius ’18 and Harrison Lane ’19 each scored a goal to tie the score at 2-2 in the first, but Penn added two more to end the half strong. The Big Green outshot the Quakers 19-17 in the first half.

The Quakers dominated the second period, scoring seven goals to win 11-4 and holding off the Dartmouth offense. Penn was able to put three in the back of the net to open the third period while keeping the Big Green silent until Richie Loftus ’18 scored at 1:01 to make the deficit 7-3. Penn added four more goals in the fourth while Loftus added a single unassisted goal for the Big Green.

Joe Balaban ’19 had nine saves in the loss. Both teams recorded 36 shots each.

The Big Green will conclude its season next Saturday at No. 3 Brown University.

Women’s Lacrosse

Big Green women’s lacrosse fell at Brown University on Saturday in its sixth Ivy League game 8-5. The Big Green fall to 6-8 overall and 2-4 in Ivy League play while the Bears improve to 6-8 and 1-5 in Ivy League play. The Big Green are 0-7 away from home but 5-1 at home.

Dartmouth started out the first period much stronger than the Bears with Taryn Deck ’17 scoring two quick goals to lead 2-0. The Bears responded by scoring four goals to lead 4-2 at halftime. Brown outshot Dartmouth 9-5 in the period.

The Bears dominated the second half, outscoring Dartmouth 4-3. Jaclyn Leto ’16 and Deck each scored a tally early to tie the score at 4-4. The Bears, however, dominated the latter part of the half outscoring Dartmouth 4-1. Leto scored a final goal at 4:06 to help Dartmouth, but it was too little too late for the Big Green. The Bears outshot Dartmouth 18-13 overall.

Deck led Dartmouth with three goals and Leto scored two more for 49 this season and 147 overall for fourth in Dartmouth’s program history.

Netminder Charlotte Wahle ’19 recorded four saves in the loss. The women’s lacrosse team plays its final game of the regular season versus Columbia University on Senior Day this Saturday at home. Thanks to favorable tiebreakers, the Big Green can still qualify for the 2016 Ivy League Tournament with a win against the Lions and a Yale University victory over Harvard University.

Baseball

The baseball team played Yale University at home in doubleheaders on Saturday and Sunday. The Big Green lost three out of the four games. On Saturday, the Big Green dropped both matches losing the first 7-6 and the second 5-3. On Sunday, the Big Green lost 4-3 but picked up its only victory of the weekend 10-4. The Big Green fall to 14-23 and 8-8 in Ivy play while the Bulldogs improve to 16-23-1 and 10-6 in Ivy play.

Yale became the second team since the college built Red Rolfe Field at Biondi Park in 2009 to sweep Dartmouth in a home field doubleheader. With the victories, the Bulldogs take charge of the Red Rolfe Division.

In the first game, Beau Sulser ’16 allowed five runs in five innings. Dustin Shirley ’18 had two RBIs to pace the Big Green, and though Dartmouth outhit Yale 9-8 the Bulldogs emerged victorious in a close matchup.

In the second game, the Big Green fell again — this time by just two runs. Clay Chatham ’18 allowed three runs in 1.1 innings for the loss. The Bulldogs grabbed four runs in the second inning to grab a commanding lead. Dartmouth got three RBIs, one each, from Michael Ketchmark ’17, Rob Emery ’19 and Justin Fowler ’18.

On Sunday, it was another close game which the Bulldogs again won 4-3. The Big Green finished the weekend outscoring Yale by two runs but came away with just one victory to show for it. Joe Purritano ’16 grabbed two RBIs to help the Big Green. The Bulldogs grabbed three runs in the sixth after the Big Green leveled the score 1-1 in the second inning. Dartmouth scored two runs in a rally in the seventh inning that ultimately fell short. Yale outhit Dartmouth 7-4.

The Big Green dominated the second Sunday game. Dartmouth scored 10 runs with Ketchmark’s five RBIs and Thomas Roulis ’15’s three leading the charge to wrap up the 10-4 victory.

Dartmouth plays Siena College this week on Wednesday at home.

Softball

The softball team continued its Ivy League play this weekend in a pair of Saturday and Sunday doubleheaders against Yale University. Dartmouth beat Yale 4-0 and fell 4-2 on Saturday and fell 1-0 and won 6-1 on Sunday. The Big Green improved to 26-12 and 14-2 in Ivy League play, taking its first two losses in Ancient Eight play against the Bulldogs.

In the Big Green’s first game Saturday versus Yale, Morgan McCalmon ’16 pitched a complete game, allowing zero runs in the 4-0 victory. McCalmon only allowed a single hit while the Big Green offense supplied four runs. Maddie Damore ’17 had two RBIs with Kelsey Miller ’16 and Katie McEachern ’16 each adding a single RBI to help the Big Green. The Big Green outhit the Bulldogs 6-1.

The second game versus Yale proved difficult for the Big Green as the Bulldogs scored four runs while the Big Green only managed two. Bulldog pitching limited the Big Green just enough for the victory. Kassidy Williams ’19 had the two RBIs for the Big Green.

The games on Sunday played out differently with Yale winning 1-0 in the first game and the Big Green outpowering the Bulldogs 6-1 in the second game. In the first game, a tight pitching duel saw the Bulldogs win 1-0 with the Big Green recording just three hits. The Big Green dominated the second game. Breanna Ethridge ’18 and Lauren Stone ’19 limited the Bulldogs to one run while Chloe Madill ’17, Williams and Karen Chaw ’17 contributing to the offensive output to win 6-1.

The Big Green are currently first place in Ivy League Division North play. The team will play second place Harvard University (13-3) next weekend. The split home-and-away doubleheaders will crown a division champion.

Women’s Rowing

The women’s rowing team traveled to Carnegie Lake in Princeton, New Jersey to compete for the Class of 1984 Plaque against Princeton University, the University of Pennsylvania and Bucknell University on Saturday.

In the first, second and third varsity eight races, the Big Green placed third in each race. Princeton took first in all three varsity eight races. The Bison placed second in the third varsity eight and came in fourth in the first and third races.

The Big Green placed second in the varsity four, coming in 12 seconds behind Princeton at 8 minutes 2.1 seconds. In the second varsity four race, the Big Green placed fourth.

Men’s Heavyweight Rowing

The No. 10 men’s heavyweight rowing team faced No. 6 Brown University on Saturday at the Atlanta Cup in Providence, Rhode Island and placed second in all four races. On Sunday, the team faced Syracuse University in the Packard Cup and fell just short in the varsity eight.

At the Seekonk River, the Big Green heavyweight rowing team barely fell to the Bears in the third and fourth varsity races. Dartmouth had a lead in both races, but fell by 1.4 seconds and by half a second. In the second varsity, the Big Green placed second finishing in 5:36.5 behind the Bears by almost five seconds. The Big Green placed second in the final varsity eight race by nearly 10 seconds.

The Big Green heavyweight team faced Syracuse in the Packard Cup and the varsity eight finished just two tenths of a second behind the Orange. Dartmouth won the second and third varsity eight races.

Men’s Lightweight Rowing

The No. 9 men’s lightweight rowing team hosted No. 1 Yale University in the Durand Cup on Saturday. On Sunday, the lightweight team faced Columbia University at the Subin Cup.

The lightweight rowing team placed second behind Yale in the varsity eight, second varsity eight and in the third varsity eight Dartmouth was closest in the varsity eight finishing in 5:47.9, 10 seconds behind the Bulldogs.

On Sunday, the Big Green placed second behind Columbia in all three races: the varsity eight, second varsity eight and third varsity eight.

Women’s Golf

Dartmouth shot a 987 (+111) to finish in last place at the three-day Ivy League Women’s Championship, held at the par-73 Stanwich Club Course in Greenwich, Connecticut. Harvard University, tournament leaders throughout, took the crown with a 919 (+43).

After beginning the tournament in fifth, ahead of Brown University and the University of Pennsylvania, the Big Green slipped to sixth on Saturday and then to seventh when the three-day tournament concluded Sunday afternoon. Sunday’s 333 (+41) was the worst team round of the tournament.

Jessica Kittelberger ’18, Dartmouth’s best individual performer, managed to crack the top half of the 35-woman leaderboard, shooting a 243 (+24) to tie for 17th. Isabelle Kane ’18 and Julia Calbi ’19 were close behind, tying for 22nd after both shot 245 (+26) for the tournament. Calbi’s 78 (+5) in the opening round was a team best. Catharine Roddy ’19, 254 (+25) and Radi Sauro ’18, 265 (+46), also competed for the Big Green.

Men’s Golf

Men’s golf came within four shots of the lead at the Ivy League Men’s Championship but had to settle for second place behind Harvard University. The Big Green shot a collective 911 (+47) at Jackson, New Jersey’s Metedeconk National Golf Club.

Round 1 saw Dartmouth begin in second place on a strong score of 301 (+13), the second-best team round of the weekend. A 309 on Saturday dropped the men to third behind Yale University, but the team regained form Sunday with another 301. Yale finished eight shots back in third place at 919 (+55).

Ian Kelsey ’18 made four birdies on Friday en route to a first-round-best 72. He followed that with a 77 and 73 to finish the weekend +6 in second place overall. Charles Cai ’16 also cracked the top 10, as his three-day score of 229 (+13) was enough for ninth place. Scott Jaster ’17 and John Lazor ’19 finished with 231 (+15) and 232 (+16), respectively, while Sean Fahey ’17 was well back after shooting 248 (+32).