Smith: A Time to Rush

At the beginning of sophomore year, most students seem to have found their stride. They live where and with whom they choose, friend groups grow closer and most students have begun to develop a stronger idea of their prospective academic path. Students no longer feel like the new kids on campus, and they are ready to embrace the Dartmouth social scene — whatever that means for each individual — with excitement and confidence. However, one aspect of the College’s social structure serves to knock these excited and confident young people off their pedestals and into uncertainty — the requirement that students wait until their sophomore fall to join a Greek house.

For better or worse, the majority of students choose to be involved in Greek life. It is one of the most prominent facets of the social scene here, and for many people it defines their social experience at the College. Although the school has abolished pledge term, the first term in a Greek house can still be quite difficult. New members become involved in a familiar space in a way they never have before, and many people often struggle to meet older members while continuing to develop new relationships with members of their class. This experience of uncertainty and difficulty is necessary for acquainting people with the new house — but I believe it should take place over freshman spring rather than sophomore fall.

At many schools, the rush process happens soon after students arrive on campus, if not immediately. It is important, however, for freshmen to have enough time to make friends and find their niche before joining a Greek house. This allows for affiliated people to still have friends in various houses and across social spaces, which in turn increases inclusivity among them. Two terms, however, is sufficient time to make and solidify these friendships. Between floormates, classmates, sports teams and various clubs, students have ample opportunities to make lasting friendships during their first six months on campus — especially with the six-week Greek ban. Allowing freshmen to rush a Greek house during their third term would provide them with yet another group in which to form friendships, as well as serving as a culminating experience to close out their freshman year.

Sophomore fall and winter rush also create a host of problems that could be avoided with a shift to freshman spring. Many students choose to study abroad or take off-terms during their sophomore year — two options that are not open to freshmen. By holding rush during sophomore fall, however, students are often discouraged from applying for study abroad programs or seeking internships off campus for fear of being excluded from an important social aspect of Dartmouth. Shifting rush to freshman spring would open sophomore fall up for students who are passionate about going Greek and allow them to take full advantage of the term in ways they could not otherwise.

The current rush period also hurts out-of-house relationships for many people. Most students do not see their freshman year friends over the summer, and the long absence can put a heavy strain on friendships. As soon as they return, though, it is easy for students to get so caught up in pre-rush events and the rush process itself that they seldom see their first-year friends that elected not to rush or became affiliated with different houses. If rush were to move to freshman spring, however, students could go into it with strong friendships from the winter — as well as the assurance that no matter how time consuming their first Greek term is, they are still going to see their floormates on a daily basis.

Joining a Greek house, while very exciting and often fulfilling, is also a new experience rife with uncertainty. Shifting the Greek adjustment period to freshman spring would allow students to come into their sophomore year with much more confidence. This shift would also put less of a strain on freshman year friendships and open up sophomore fall as one of the most dynamic terms of the D-plan. The Greek system is an important part of Dartmouth social life — students should be allowed to integrate into it sooner.