June 17, 2024 | Latest Issue

The Summer Editorial Board: Strength in Numbers

Though the Class of 2018 is the largest class in its history, the College prides itself on its small size relative to its peers. The upcoming increase in students may not be drastic — roughly 50 more students will enroll compared to the Class of 2017 — but it raises the question of how prepared Dartmouth is to accommodate larger classes. Because much of student life depends on Dartmouth’s small size, larger classes like the Class of 2018 face challenges that should not go ignored.

Guaranteeing the quality of a Dartmouth education regardless of class size, of course, is a primary concern. Many students are drawn to the College for its academic excellence. Since larger class sizes affect academic departments and programs, students may end up with a different academic experience than they imagined when they clicked “enroll” on Banner Student and committed to Dartmouth. In contrast to introductory calculus courses and other popular lecture-based courses that can take on more freshmen, seminar or discussion-based courses may have to turn away greater numbers of students or create waitlists to remain small. Disappointments and frustrations over access to courses can easily mount with more students on campus. Course enrollment limits, then, should be re-evaluated to allow in as many students as possible without undermining the quality of the course.

Life outside the classroom plays an equally important role in shaping our time at the College. Yet it too is tailored to the current total number of undergraduates, so we must consider whether a larger class will feel included and welcome on campus. Traditions like Dartmouth Outing Club first-year trips, for example, can only handle so many participants. According to program director Gerben Scherpbier ’14, the record-breaking 1,080 participants almost filled every trip to capacity. With more participants, it becomes more difficult to maintain the program’s environment of intimacy. By being aware of the effects of class size on trips, involved students can ensure that the program’s benefits are not diminished and, if necessary, address any problems by adjusting the scale of trips in the event of another large class.

When freshmen begin their Dartmouth careers, joining social groups assists them in finding their place on campus and provides them with valuable friendships. Selective extracurricular activities like performance groups, however, generally have a fixed number of new spots each year. Accomplished students make up every class that comes to the College, so in a larger class like the Class of 2018, this means that more otherwise qualified or talented individuals may be unable to join groups due to lack of space. Dartmouth student groups should keep in mind that failing to account for a larger-than-usual class will restrict existing opportunities for campus involvement and impair our ability to help freshmen adjust to college life.

Another defining feature of Dartmouth social life — the Greek system — risks becoming more exclusive if it also cannot absorb increased demand. Data from recent years suggests this could occur — the Dartmouth Fact Book states that in spring 2013, 714 affiliated members of the Class of 2013 made up 70 percent of their class, yet 729 affiliated members of the Class of 2015 made up 66 percent of their class. Sororities in particular, many of which already have large memberships, could encounter difficulties dealing with all interested members of a larger class. It should give us pause that Dartmouth’s Greek system, often touted for its inclusivity, may promote additional competitiveness and division among members of a larger class.

This fall, there will be more new students to welcome than we’re used to. It will take extra work to help extra students feel at home. Ultimately, we as a community have a responsibility to make sure that members of the Class of 2018 — all of them — can enjoy all that Dartmouth has to offer.