Softball heads west for NCAA tourney

5.13.14.sports.softball
5.13.14.sports.softball

Sixty-four teams. Sixteen regional competitions. Four teams per regional. The most important question? “Where will Dartmouth play?”

Sunday evening while watching ESPNU, the Big Green softball team learned that it would head to Tempe, Arizona, to play No. 9 Arizona State University in its first-ever NCAA tournament appearance. The winner of the game will play the winner of San Diego State University versus the University of Michigan while the losers will meet in the double-elimination tournament.

“This is a huge opportunity for the team as it’s our first trip to the NCAA tournament,” outfielder Brianna Lohmann ’16 said. “We’re all just looking to have fun and prove what Dartmouth softball is like.”

The players and coaches organized a small watch party Sunday night. The first-floor conference room in Floren Varsity House began to fill in the half hour before ESPNU began to reveal the field.

Players grabbed pizza, relaxed, laughed and joked before the announcement.

“We’re a very laid-back team,” Lohmann said. “We like to joke, we like to play around. It’s just the nature of our team.”

The first four seeds had been announced earlier that evening, so many discussed where Dartmouth might play. Would Dartmouth travel to Eugene to take on No. 1 University of Oregon? Tuscaloosa to challenge No. 2 University of Alabama?

At No. 3, the University of California at Los Angeles has earned 11 NCAA softball championships, and No. 4 University of Georgia is fresh off its first SEC title just as Dartmouth captured its first Ivy title.

Dartmouth could also play the University of Oklahoma, last year’s national champions.

The players hoped for different regions so family could watch live, outfielder Alyssa Loyless ’17 said.

Loyless, whose family lives in California and has a few friends on ASU’s squad, said that her family will probably be able to visit Tempe to watch her play.

Once the selection show began, the entire room quieted.

“We were both nervous and excited waiting to hear where we would be going,” Lohmann said.

Dartmouth’s name didn’t pop up in either of the first brackets and, for a moment, it seemed like the team would be in for a long wait. The players resumed their previous conversations, joking and laughing once again and enjoying the small party.

The Tempe regional bracket was announced when ESPNU returned from commercials. Dartmouth’s name flashed on screen moments after ASU.

The entire room erupted into cheers. Players jumped from their seats and began to celebrate.

“It was a really great moment,” Lohmann said. “You’re like, ‘That’s my team, I play for that team.’ It’s a little bit overwhelming because it’s so cool I get to represent Dartmouth in a region nowhere near us.”

When Michigan was announced, rounding out the group, players teased assistant coach Dorian Shaw. As an undergraduate, Shaw was an All-American for the Wolverines.

While she was at Michigan, the Wolverines normally hosted a regional tournament, so she slept in her own bed and did not have to travel.

Players soon calmed down and talked about the upcoming game.

“It’s a completely different experience waiting for your name to come up when you’re a coach,” Shaw said. “Nothing’s in your control, and that’s very unnerving, but it was very exciting to have your name pop up and have all the girls be so excited.”

Head coach Rachel Hanson said she is content traveling to Arizona over other locations, where conditions are cooler.

“We’re just excited to go play ball,” Hanson said. “Put us anywhere and we’ll play our style of ball.”

The winner of the regional bracket will advance to one of eight Super Regionals. Each team that wins its Super Regional will then travel to Oklahoma City for the Women’s College World Series starting on May 28.