One-on-One

This week I sat down with men’s tennis player Dovydas Sakinis ’16. Sakinis has been a driving force behind a resurgent Big Green (18-6, 5-2 Ivy) that saw its best Ivy record since 1998.

What do you think enabled you to be so successful this year?

DS: Well, last year I couldn’t play since I was not eligible. It’s a big change, of course, to now play on the team, especially playing in the top spot. It’s a bigger responsibility, and I feel great that I can compete and win at this level.

What do you think allowed the team to do so well this year?

DS: I don’t know — it’s hard to say. We did have some success early in the season, and we were just building on that. We had a good preseason, which we didn’t have last year.

With your preseason in the fall, is it hard being in season all year?

DS: I’m used to it. I don’t know about the other guys, but being from Lithuania, originally I was going to play pro, so I was playing all year long with maybe a two-week break. I’m used to that but not used to studying during season.

What made you decide to leave Lithuania and come to Dartmouth?

DS: It’s a long story. Going pro in tennis, especially now, is extremely hard. I chose the safer way and decided to get an education. I was always into education. I never left my high school like other players do. Maybe 50 percent of them finish high school. I had offers from top 30 schools, but the Dartmouth coach really convinced me to come here.

What has been the hardest adjustment?

DS: Just different culture, different food of course. I think Lithuanian food is better. It was hard in the first year, but now I’m used to it, and I like it. I miss both. When I’m at home, I miss here, and when I’m here I miss home.

Do you think you want to try to go professional after college?

DS: I will see how it goes. I would really love to, but it’s really hard. I think I’ve improved a lot through these past two years, and I will play some professional tournaments this summer, so I will see if I can compete.

What would be your dream professional tennis tournament to play in?

DS: Just playing Grand Slams. Any of them. To reach that level if you can compete at that level, would be great.

Do you prefer playing singles or doubles?

DS: I’m more of an individual player. I play both doubles and singles for our team, but I’m definitely better in singles. I just kind of like to be on my own. I can’t play team sports, I only trust myself. I’m also just not that great in doubles, but I play for the team and I think I’ve improved a lot.

What has been your favorite moment this season?

DS: I think we’ve had a lot of good moments, but when I won against Princeton 7-6 in the third set deciding match and 11-9 in the tie-breaker, it was just crazy. I was down four match points and had a lot of match points to close, and the tie-breaker was just so tight. I think it was hard to play, but watching was also really hard. We actually won three matches like this in Ivies this season. It’s a crazy experience. You never know what will happen if you win or lose those matches. We’ve been lucky to win them.

Do you think tennis here is different than back home? Is it more competitive?

DS: It’s hard to say. We don’t have college sports, so college competition here is much bigger. Lithuania is such a small country, and we only have a handful of tennis players. I’m top 3 in the country, so competition here is way bigger.

If you could play any sport besides tennis, what would it be?

DS: Beach volleyball. I’m probably not tall enough to play that sport, but it looks cool.

This interview has been edited and condensed.