Safety and Security, Residential Operations prepare for weekend

College offices are bolstering their staff and services in preparation for Winter Carnival weekend. Residential Operations and Safety and Security will put extra staff members on the schedule, while Dartmouth Dining Services will stock extra food to cater events as the College expects an influx of visitors over the weekend.

Residential Operations director David Eckels said that two additional workers will join the usual four-member custodial staff that oversees residential halls during regular weekends to more effectively manage the extra work that comes with a big weekend, which includes emptying trash cans and cleaning bathrooms.

Custodians working on Friday will also be increasing stock of supplies such as paper towels and hand soap. Throughout the weekend, the staff will have radios to better communicate with Safety and Security officers if locations require prompt maintenance, he said.

Students hosting guests or visitors over the weekend can rent cotton mattresses through Residential Operations, free of charge, Eckels said.

Safety and Security director Harry Kinne said that extra officers will patrol campus on foot. These patrols will aim to increase student safety from the official beginning of Carnival on Friday morning through its end on Sunday night.

“We will be extra vigilant with parties at night as going out at night in the cold can be a risk factor,” he said.

During last year’s Carnival, there were four Good Samaritan calls made and two cases of alleged assault, Kinne said. These numbers were lower than preceding Carnivals and other big weekends including Homecoming and Green Key, he said. The majority of calls to Safety and Security involved lost jackets and ice-related falls.

During the weekend, Safety and Security will connect with other College offices, including Dick’s House and Dartmouth Emergency Medical Services, along with Hanover Police, Kinne said.

Safety and Security officers will also be on site for activities that require increased caution and supervision, like the polar bear plunge and the human dogsled race, he said.

Visitors to the College fall under the jurisdiction of Hanover Police, Kinne said, while students will be dealt with by Safety and Security.

DDS director David Newlove said some on-campus dining halls will have shortened hours of operation because of Carnival.

Novack Café will close at 9 p.m. on Thursday and 2:30 p.m. on Friday, and will remain closed all day Saturday. Dining Services expects low demand during those times based on previous Carnival weekends, Newlove said.

The East Wheelock snack bar will also be closed on Friday night and Saturday.

Like during past big weekends, Collis Café and Courtyard Café will serve special late-night items such as chicken wings and macaroni and cheese, he said.

Ultimately, Kinne said it is important for everyone in the community to be especially cautious during big weekends.

“Watch out for each other but also have a good time,” he said. “It’s a fun weekend and there’s a lot of fun things going on and as long as people do it in a safe manner, that’s wonderful.”