Student Spotlight: Daniel Calano '15

Although his most recent foray into the performing arts on campus has been as lead singer for the Euphemisms, it is by no means the only impact that Daniel Calano '15 has had on the arts at Dartmouth.

The high school Calano attended in Manhattan, which lacked even a choir, didn't give him many opportunities to make and perform music. This pushed Calano to take advantage of what was available to him, leading him to star in musical theater productions such as "Les Miserables" and "Hairspray."

While attending the Dimensions show as a prospective student, Calano was introduced to a capella and was immediately drawn. After joining the Dodecaphonics during orientation, he quickly realized the opportunity would open many more doors to explore his interests in music and theater.

"Dodecs became my family right off the bat and gave me a great insight into how to look at music," Calano said. "A cappella breaks down music into its parts and sounds. I gained knowledge of musicality through Dodecs, and have learned so much about how to sing as part of a group not just alone."

One of Calano's proudest moments at Dartmouth was playing Link Larkin in the theater department's production of "Hairspray" during his freshman winter.

Playing the familiar role brought back "a comfort level that I'd had in high school," he said.

While these experiences have helped to develop Calano's musical abilities, it has been his work in various Hopins Center showcases, most recently "Igniting Unity," and his band, the Euphemisms, that have been transformative for Calano. Calano founded the group with Carl Neisser '15 over sophomore summer as a "cool way to make some live music, and do something we'd never really done," he said.

With the additions of Leif Harder '15 on bass, Hannah O'Flynn '15 on sax and Moises Silva '16 on drums, the group quickly fell into place, and their chemistry was undeniable.

By the end of the summer term, the band had secured paid performances.

"We had become such a tight-knit group, we wanted to settle on a name because it had become much more of a serious commitment," he said.

Calano has been able to actively pursue performance despite not being a theater or music major.

"As someone who is really interested in the arts, music and theater, I have had the opportunities to find success and fulfillment in this area without having to pursue them academically, which, in turn, has made me want to potentially pursue them academically," Calano said.

It is with his innate curiosity to explore the music and arts scene, coupled with finding fulfillment in his band, that has solidified a desire to pursue music professionally.

"I definitely want to try doing this for a living, not to be famous, but to able to sustain myself with something that I love," he said. "Igniting Unity' really challenged me because it was a very short time frame and it was challenging music. And afterwards I realized how many opportunities Dartmouth has for music, I shouldn't stop trying to find new venues."

Looking forward, Calano plans to audition for "Spring Awakening" on campus, continue developing the Euphemisms and spend more time exploring the mystery of what is possible at Dartmouth, wherever it may lead.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

Correction: Oct. 21, 2013

**The original version of this article misstated the location of Calano's high school. It was in Manhattan, not Eastchester, N.Y.*