Second sexual assault reported in the past month

An undergraduate woman reported that she was sexually assaulted in her room at 1:00 a.m. this morning, according to a campus alert from Safety and Security director Harry Kinne.

A college-aged male who is not enrolled at the College reportedly forced his way into the student's residence hall and room. The male, who had a large athletic build, was wearing a navy blue shirt and said he was in the U.S. Navy. He may have attended a party at Beta Alpha Omega fraternity before the alleged assault.

Kinne said Safety and Security is following up on all tips from those with information.

"We are investigating the information very aggressively," he said.

It is unclear whether the incident reported on Sept. 21 is related to this morning's reported assault.

"We're very cognizant of how distressing this can be to a small community like Dartmouth," Kinne said.

Safety and Security is adding extra patrols and working with Residential Life staff to make sure students, faculty and staff are aware of the resources available. Kinne said he encourages students, faculty and staff to call Safety and Security if they need support.

Safe Ride begins at 9 p.m. and ends at 4 a.m. daily, but Kinne said the department will offer rides as early as 6 p.m. and after Safe Ride ends if it receives requests.

While Safety and Security does not "have a hold over someone who is not a community member," if officers identify the suspected perpetrator, they will make sure that local authorities have the information. The student would be trespassed from campus, and if the student attends another institution Kinne said he would contact officials there to alert them to the situation.

Hanover Police is aware of the reported assault, and Kinne said he hopes that they will be able to make contact with the individual who made the report this evening to obtain further information.

This incident marks the second reported sexual assault on campus in the past month. Safety and Security increased patrols in the wake of the the last reported sexual assault, which occurred on the evening of Sept. 21.