Giaccone to officially retire

Police chief Nicholas Giaccone will retire Tuesday after 40 years at the Hanover Police.

Giaccone did not want to end his career on these terms, acting police chief Frank Moran said. Giaccone said he was excited about working with the new recruits in the police department before he had a stroke.

He began his career as a patrol officer in 1973 before being promoted to detective sergeant, a position he held until the death of former police chief Kurt Schimke in 1994. After serving as acting chief during the search for Schimke's replacement, he decided to apply for the position and was picked over five candidates from the New England area. He was appointed chief in July 1994.

Giaccone pioneered new technological advancements in both police cruisers and the department's office which improved the way Hanover Police communicates and adapts to crime. Under his supervision, the Hanover Police Department was one of the first departments in New Hampshire to install mobile data systems. Under Giaccone, the department created a beneficial relationship with a Massachusetts police software provider to ensure Hanover Police's technology is always up to date.

Moran said Giaccone had a full career and many years of remarkable service.

"[Giaccone was] a friendly face who was extremely welcoming when I first started on the force 25 years ago," Moran said.

Giaconne's tenure, however, was not without controversy. In 2010, he proposed an agenda to crack down on underage drinking and illegal drug use within the Dartmouth community. His announcement of undercover "sting operations" to combat substance abuse was not well received. A letter signed by Palaeopitus senior society, the Co-Ed Council, the Greek Leadership Council, the Interfraternity Council and the Panhellenic Council was sent to the administration in protest of the policy, which was eventually delayed indefinitely. A Facebook group called "Students Against Hanover Police Alcohol Policy" attracted over 2,000 members.

Giaccone said he accomplished what he was sworn in to do: uphold the law.

"I just believe that we were enforcing the law in a consistent, fair and professional manner," he said. "We never had any civil unrest with the students as a result of that."

Hanover is conducting a national search for a new police chief and has hired Mercer, a consulting firm, to facilitate the process, town manager Julia Griffin said.

"We are in the initial stages of developing a recruitment brochure with Mercer for the position and hope to bring on a qualified candidate in four to five months," Griffin said.

The firm will conduct an initial screening of applicants and the candidates will be presented to a committee whose members have not yet been selected. The candidates will then go through two additional interview panels. The first will consist of Griffin and other Hanover staff members. The second will include Safety and Security director Harry Kinne, another local police chief who is familiar with the area and a representative from the local school district.

Moran, who has served as acting police chief since February, described the ideal candidate as someone with knowledge of the College and town.

"I want someone who would have a great work ethic, integrity and be a part of the solution and not just a figurehead instructor," he said.

In the past seven months, Moran focused on stabilizing the force by filling six open positions. The force now consists of 20 full time officers.

While he does not want to make any sweeping changes during the interim period, Moran said he would like to develop a department on-call list throughout the week for emergencies and improve communication among police department staff members.