Field hockey tops Columbia at home

10.29.13.sports.fh
10.29.13.sports.fh

The women’s field hockey team triumphed over Columbia University on Sunday, defeating the Lions (6-9, 2-3 Ivy) 6-2 at home.

The game marked another victory for the Big Green (6-8, 2-3 Ivy) and a milestone for forward Ali Savage ’15, who scored her fourth hat trick of the season. Savage tied Rebekka Stucker ’04 for most hat tricks in a season and tied Kelly Hood ’12 for a career total of six. Savage had a remarkable assist in the 57th minute of the game, helping Eliza Becker ’16 for a score.

Co-captain and defender Olivia Quaglia ’14 played a solid game, scoring two goals. At halftime, the Big Green and Lions were tied 1-1, but pushes from teammates helped the Big Green reenergize and take the victory. Savage and Quaglia scored at the start of the second half, beginning the push toward victory. Along with Savage and Quaglia’s personal success, the Big Green took charge in the second half, notching five goals to complete a four-goal victory over the Lions.

Players and fans alike noticed the Big Green’s energy and spirit this weekend on Chase Field.

“The team performed exceptionally well this weekend,” midfielder Janine Leger ’15 said. “Everyone put 110 percent into the game, and the results showed that. The energy each and every player brought to the game was incredible: all our players left everything they had on the field.”

Savage leads the league in scoring 38 points total, trailing University of Pennsylvania freshman Jasmine Cole for the league lead.

Goalkeeper Ellen Meyer ’15 turned aside seven shots, besting Columbia’s Marlee Silverstein, who stopped only three.

The Big Green’s victory on Saturday stemmed from strong solo performances and from team chemistry as a whole.

“Everyone was in the game and we connected well on the field and there was constant support on the field, starting from the backfield all the way to the front line,” Leger said. “We focused on maintaining possession of the ball during the game, and this allowed us to control the game.”

The team did more than one thing right against the Lions, demonstrating all-around good play.

“We executed well on corners and were able to shoot to score, which are definitely two things that we have been working on in practice,” forward Samantha Anderson ’14 said. “If we bring this high level of play to Harvard next weekend, I think we could be able to add another highlight to our season.”

Both teams, however, were evenly matched in shots taken and penalty corners, at 16 and nine, respectively.

“Columbia was a statistically higher-ranked team than us, and our victory allowed us to prove ourselves in the Ivy League,” midfielder Natalie Ludwig ’17 said. “Our team played together with heart for 70 minutes, and every player was driven to go to goal.”

The team has improved since the beginning of the season, and it looks forward to finishing with success.

“What is awesome about this season is that we have been constantly improving,” Anderson said. “If I were to only pick one improvement, I guess it would be our connectedness all over the field. Not only have we been moving the ball well up-and-down and across the field in more recent games, but we have also been doing a much better job at communicating with one another.”

The Big Green looks to continue personal and team victories against Harvard University on Saturday and the University of New Hampshire on Sunday.