Daily Debriefing

New Hampshire experienced steep increases in the number of thunderstorms and floods throughout the state this summer, New Hampshire Public Radio reported on Sunday. While the area usually sees five flash floods each year, the National Weather Service has reported around 20 floods so far. The amount of rainfall was also higher than normal, with 15 to 20 inches this summer compared with the normal 10 inches. The flash flood season generally spans from late May to early September, sometimes lasting through October. The College was impacted by flooding last Wednesday night when the elm tree in front of Wilson Hall was blown over by a gust of wind during a thunderstorm.

This year, the federal government awarded New Hampshire communities with $1.5 million in funding aimed toward preventing binge drinking and drug use among young adults, The Nashua Telegraph reported on Saturday. A report by New Hampshire's Department of Health and Human Services lists the state in the nation's top five in binge drinking and marijuana use. Based on research from previous years, communities that receive grants experience a 25 percent decrease in tobacco and marijuana use nationally and a 15 percent decrease in alcohol use in middle school students, New Hampshire Public News reported.

Dartmouth government professor Daryl Press was featured in The Washington Post's blog Wonkblog last Thursday in a post on reasons President Barack Obama should not worry about backing down in his push for military intervention in Syria. Press's book, "Calculating Credibility," was cited as evidence for the belief that the country's reputation would not be harmed due to the lack of direct military action. Press cited past historical instances, such as when American leaders took the threats of Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev seriously even though he had not acted on previous threats. Press concluded that bluffing is a smart strategy in every field from business to war, so the United States should not fear looking weak if Obama chooses not launch a military intervention.