Dartmouth's administrative leadership continues to evolve

freshmenissue.news.parkhurst
freshmenissue.news.parkhurst

PROVOST SEARCH

Bruce Duthu, chair of the Native American studies department, is leading the search for a new provost to fill the vacancy left by Carol Folt when she was appointed chancellor of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in April.

Interim provost Martin Wybourne, a physics professor and former vice provost of research, has served in his current role since Folt was appointed to the interim presidency last July.

Hanlon hopes to install a permanent provost by early 2014, though Duthu said he does not know how plausible this goal is.

"The best person may be someone who is pretty firmly ensconced right now in an administrative role or as an academic leader and will not be able to disentangle herself or himself until spring," Duthu said.

The search committee will look for candidates who will collaborate with the president, enhance the institution's position and obtain the "respect and confidence" of the faculty, College spokesperson Justin Anderson said.

The committee will begin interviewing its top picks in September.

"We have the luxury of being able to pause and bring in someone who is going to be a wonderful academic partner to President Hanlon," Duthu said.

As vice provost of research, Wybourne sustained close contact with the previous two provosts and was "a natural choice," Duthu said.

While in office, Wybourne plans to further develop the recently launched Office of Entrepreneurship and Technology Transfer and continue the discussion about online learning.

Wybourne said he does not consider administrative turnover problematic.

"The way that I have organized the provost's office is that we are covering all the functions needed," Wybourne said. "We are keeping some vacant positions open so that we allow the next provost to have as much flexibility as possible."

RICHARD MILLS

Richard Mills was appointed executive vice president and chief financial officer on July 9, making him the College's third-ranking administrator. Formerly the executive dean for administration at Harvard Medical School, Mills will now direct the College's annual operating budget of more than $950 million, oversee its financial assets and supervise information technology and human resources on campus.

LEIGH REMY

Leigh Remy, former assistant dean of undergraduate students, took office as the director of Undergraduate Judicial Affairs on July 1. In her new position, Remy directs the disciplinary process for undergraduate students and organizations.

The office most commonly deals with allegations of academic honor code violations, sexual assault, violence, substance abuse and hazing.

Remy said her experience as an advisor to students facing disciplinary action will afford her a useful perspective in handlingjudicial cases.

First-year students may encounter Remy at orientation events or training sessions for peer advising groups. She will have further contact with individuals elected to serve on the Committee on Standards or the Organizational Adjudication Committee, which hear cases about Academic Honor Principle and Standards of Conduct violations.

Judicial Affairs has recently garnered criticism for its failure to release a community report since the 2009-2010 academic year, reinforcing a perception among students that the office lacks transparency.

Remy said she plans to reach out to students to increase awareness about the judiciary process. One prospective event that Remy mentioned was an open COS discussion in the Class of 1953 Commons, which will allow students to discuss pertinent issues with her directly.

CHARLOTTE JOHNSON

Charlotte Johnson became dean of the College in July 2011 after serving as the vice president and dean of the college at Colgate University.

The dean of the College oversees student support services, counseling, campus life programs, dining services, health services, judicial affairs and campus safety.

Johnson has spearheaded new hazing and alcohol policies, including unannounced walkthroughs of Greek houses by Safety and Security officers and the Dartmouth Bystander Intervention program to prevent sexual assault.

MICHAEL MASTANDUNO

Michael Mastanduno has served as dean of the faculty of arts and sciences since 2010. In this position, Mastanduno oversees approximately 40 academic departments and 400 faculty members. He came to Dartmouth in 1987 as a government professor and served as the director of the Dickey Center for International Understanding from 1997 to 2003.MARIA LASKARIS

After 20 years of work in the Admissions Office, Maria Laskaris was appointed dean of admissions and financial aid in 2007.

During her tenure, the admissions rate has decreased from 13.5 percent for the Class of 2012 to 10 percent for the Class of 2017, hitting an all-time low of 9.4 percent for the Class of 2016. Over the same period, the cost of Dartmouth has risen from $45,483 for the 2007-2008 academic year to $60,201 for next year.

Laskaris has expressed her intention to restructure Dimensions by strengthening its academic focus, which she hopes will increase the College's yield rate.