Club, PE and intramural sports offer competition

If you're not a varsity athlete, there's no need to worry Dartmouth offers students of all athletic abilities the opportunity to satiate their thirst for competition. Club and intramural teams combine with physical education classes to keep students active and help them take advantage of the Upper Valley wilderness.

The College's nearly 30 club sports teams give students the chance to compete against other schools without the time commitment of a varsity sport. These include lower levels of varsity sports, such as soccer and baseball, as well as non-varsity sports, such as rugby and figure skating.

Club teams vary in their intensity. Some, like the men's rugby team, practice multiple times a week and compete with the best teams in the nation. Others, like the Dartmouth Endurance Racing Team, have a more free-form approach, with four optional practices each week.

The men's club lacrosse team falls on the less structured end of the spectrum. Jared Tagen '15 said the team's flexibility appealed to him.

"The commitment is what you make it," he said. "We have lots of travel games throughout the Northeast and a roster that isn't a firm commitment and works around people's schedules."

The club lacrosse team practices two to three times a week, allowing students to continue playing lacrosse at a lower level, while giving athletes from other sports the opportunity to train during their off-seasons.

"I love lacrosse and have played since fifth grade, but club lacrosse doesn't dominate my schedule, so I can have fun and meet a lot of new guys but do it on my own time," Tagen said. "We have some varsity athletes from other sports who are out of season and looking for a way to stay in shape, even while they have their own training schedule."

If you're looking to play a sport without the pressure of weekly practices and tryouts, intramural teams are another option. Sports range from flag football to softball and are often comprised of multiple divisions, separating participants based on intensity and ability.

One of the most popular intramural sports is ice hockey, played in Thompson Arena, home of the Big Green's varsity teams. Teams are split into divisions based on their skill levels, including the "green" or "tripod" league for students who have never skated before.

Tagen has also participated in a variety of intramural teams, but is most passionate about being the captain of his intramural hockey team last winter.

"IM hockey is the best sport we have on campus," he said. "There are so many levels of skill and they make it very accessible to everyone to rent skates, sticks, pads and helmets, so it's very inclusive."

Playing on the same ice as the varsity squad is an especially nice perk, Tagen added.

The College requires that each student receive at least three physical education credits to graduate.

These credits can come from participation in varsity and club sports or through one of the many gym classes offered each term, including Zumba, spinning and yoga, as well as outdoor classes that take advantage of the College's location.

Introductory skiing and snowboarding classes are especially popular, and are offered each winter at the Dartmouth Skiway in Lyme, 15 minutes from campus. These classes provide students with equipment rentals, lift tickets and an opportunity to learn a winter sport.

Kayla Kesslen '15 did not know how to ski when she arrived on campus and enrolled in a beginner skiing class during her freshman year. She enjoyed the class so much that she enrolled in intermediate skiing the following winter.

"My favorite part of the class was how accessible it was to students who were able to learn to ski while being at Dartmouth," she said.

For those who are not taking the classes, there is a shuttle bus that runs between campus and the Skiway multiple times each day.

Over the summer, many students enroll in sailing PE classes offered at the Dartmouth Yacht Club on Mascoma Lake in Enfield. These are so popular that they fill up within minutes of registration.

John Cofer '15, who is teaching a sailing class, said it is an opportunity for students to participate in a sport that many have never experienced.

"A lot of kids in the class haven't sailed before and it's really great to take advantage of the location of Dartmouth," he said. "The combination of sophomore summer and the unique PE requirement allows kids to do something fun that they might not have had a chance to do somewhere else."